RedHat 9 & the net

Started by
7 comments, last by jumpjumpjump 20 years, 2 months ago
I have redhat 9 and i cant get my dialup internet to work on it. I have gone and set up my username, pass, and phone number, but i cant even get it to connect or anything. How can i get this working? Also How can i get my printer working(I have not even bothered to try and set it up yet. I just am trying to see what it am getting into here)?
Advertisement
Do you have a winmodem? If so, visit http://www.linmodems.org/.

[ DGDev -- The Delphi Games Development Community ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
idk It probably is it like 4 years old so I would say so.
or better yet what is a cheap modem that works on windows and linux?
A quick froogle shoudl tell you. (does pricewatch cover modems?)

As for printing. Good question. Distros have their own systems for setting up printing.
What printer do you have?

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
a lexmark z43
Gimp-Print supports the Lexmark Z43 up to a certain resolution (they claim the driver for the Z42/Z43 "needs testing"). If Red Hat 9 uses CUPS for printing by default (I don''t remember if it does), installing a Gimp-Print RPM should allow the driver to be selected in whatever printer setup dialog Red Hat provides. Gimp-Print might already be installed, which means you should just have a look around the printer setup dialog in Red Hat. It should be a relatively simple matter.

The modem I have that I use in both redhat 9 and windows xp is an external serial modem. I forget the brand but I bought it at newegg.com. Works great and was only $35 I think. Any "hardware" modem will work though, but the hardware internal modems are still quite pricey, I''d say go with an exteral serial or usb hardware modem. They are much cheaper.

-SirKnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement