Crytek Raided for Software Piracy

Started by
18 comments, last by superpig 20 years, 2 months ago
Don''t give into the conspiracy, the CryTek team is just trying to be like Valve so they can delay their game because their developers are serving a life sentence. Pffft, real men serve TWO life sentences!

Trent Polack
www.polycat.net
The Best Blog in the Universe
trent@polycat.net
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming
Advertisement
I feel sorry for the person who claimed they were developing a game and then posted screenshots of Far Cry. Piracy2.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by mittens
[...]the CryTek team is just trying to be like Valve[...]
SJGames(CyberPunk Raid) did it first =-P

If it is true (which seems much more likely in this case than the SJGames one), it will make Crytek look bad and Ubisoft looks worse(the bad publicity related to copy protection recently and this don''t mix well except as a joke).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
quote:Original post by superpig
quote:Crytek Raided for Piracy Software
using piracy software to create its games.
How do you create games with Kazaa or whatever could be considered "piracy software"?
quote:Original post by CWizard
quote:Original post by superpig
quote:Crytek Raided for Piracy Software
using piracy software to create its games.
How do you create games with Kazaa or whatever could be considered "piracy software"?

By downloading the HL2 source?
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
I hope this is a misunderstanding but if they are using pirated software to write their games they definitely should be able to afford it!

I really have no pity for people who pirate software.

Resist everyone
I am your only friend. Click here for more information.
Penguin Ninja!
Please recall that something as simple as having a few out of dozens of copies of a product could be broadly classified as piracy. I''d wait for details before making any real comments.
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Please recall that something as simple as having a few out of dozens of copies of a product could be broadly classified as piracy. I''d wait for details before making any real comments.

Exactly. Let the story develop, I mean the informant was a former employee, a highly suspect source of information.

While I don''t rule piracy out, their is a big difference in having installed an extra copy of Max versus, almost all of the software being pirated.
I concluded it''s the work of idSoftware to remove competitions.

But anyway, why would you send 150 policemen to a game company that only has computers? It is not that they use firearms to make games. Why not send.....a lawyer!? Gee germans...
If anything, I doubt Crytek would be pirating stuff such as 3DS/Maya/Etc.. Those can be considered pocket change when considered against middleware development utilities such as renderware. Add development licenses and a company is looking at $100,000+ just for one piece of software.

My completely hypothetical scenario might be that Ubisoft allocated the company ''x'' dollars for licenses to standard development software such as renderware. Crytek decided to allocate the funds ''elsewhere''.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement