Crytek Raided for Software Piracy

Started by
18 comments, last by superpig 20 years, 2 months ago
From GameSpy Daily:
quote: Crytek Raided for Piracy Software German police forces performed a raid on the Coburg, Germany offices of Crytek according to Holger Will, an employee of a radio station located in the same building, who contacted GameSpy. Will''s report and those of German news sites indicate a former employee of Crytek, developers of the upcoming first-person shooter FarCry to be published by Ubisoft, hinted that the development house was using piracy software to create its games. Computer experts who took part in the raid report the damage caused by the raid, in which some 150 policemen reportedly participated, goes into the six-digits range. Neither Crytek nor Ubisoft has commented on raid and how it will affect the development process of FarCry.
(gotta love the title - someone at Gamespy needs their eyes testing)

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
I really hope that the accusations turn out to be false. I find it hard to believe that someone working on such a high profile game would use pirated software to develop it.

First Half-Life 2 and now FarCry, what''s the bet Doom3 will be the next to take a massive hit like this.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
I don''t know what to say. If they were using pirated software, shame on them - they, as a company, should be able to afford it. If it turns out to be false, this is just a fiasko, which potentially serves no other purpose than to hype the game.

"Finishing in second place, simply means you are the first loser." - PouyaCat

"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Just like HL2 got hyped and is now going to be how many months late?

I can see this only doing damage.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
quote:Original post by joanusdmentia
First Half-Life 2 and now FarCry, what''s the bet Doom3 will be the next to take a massive hit like this.
Well, Halo 2 has already been pushed back to April. And don''t forget, Doom3 already took a ''hit'' (though perhaps not quite such a substantial one) in the form of the leaked Alpha.

I don''t think they''d do a raid unless they had some pretty good evidence to pack them up - like a former employee turned informant or something. So IMO the odds of them being innocent are not good...

Besides, read the story. 100,000 euros worth of ''damage,'' minimum - while ''damage'' is ambiguous, I don''t think there talking about damage done to the company''s machines. I think they''re talking about how much software they''re going to have to pay for.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

It''s a shame, too, if it''s true. FarCry looks to be a pretty decent game, but I''d have a hard time justifying to myself buying a copy now, if they are in fact pirates. If it is true, then I wouldn''t lump it into the same sort of category as HL2 or the leaked Doom alpha; this is a hit Crytek brings on themselves, rather than an act of victimization.

Golem

Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller
Wouldn''t this make the Cryo engine and the FC demo illegal software too?
quote:Original post by MDI
Wouldn''t this make the Cryo engine and the FC demo illegal software too?

Possibly. It depends on just what software was pirated.

I dunno... if they pay for all the software (and then some, probably), then I''d be more likely to consider buying it. Though I''m not sure that they''d be legally able to release it anyway.

I would imagine that if they are using pirated software, they''d have to pay a large fine and then would have to purchase legal software to continue development.

It would be a pity if Far Cry goes under because of this. It looked rather promising from the demo.
I would be very suprised if a large company was using pirated software.

I also think that FarCry is way overhyped.. I downloaded the demo, set all the settings to high and:

1. For some reason, there are strange artifacts using both of my computers (both have r9700pro cards)

2. The graphics kinda sucked.. (Ooohhh!! cool looking water).

3. I think I heard something on the site about good AI? I certainly did not notice it, even with the difficulty set all the way up. The enemy would just run around in strait lines, or try to hide behind a tree (except that half of their body was not behind the tree)

4. Whats with all these ''jungle'' games....

5. The only cool thing about the game was, I could crush myself with barrels rolling down a stairway.. WAY fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement