• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speed of Development time?

This topic is 5219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
It depends on what is more important to you.
1) Speed (Use C++)
2) Development Time (Use C# and Managed DirectX)

Please note RE: #1 that it's been said that the Axiom Engine (written in C#) is actually faster than the C++ OGRE engine that it was based on.

--edit: and please, no one respond with the lame old "It was optimized more, that's why it was faster" response. People tried that with the Java vs .NET pet store comparisons. Obviously, if the unoptimized C++ version is good enough for people, then the optimized C# version should be good enough as well.

Joel Martinez
http://www.codecube.net/

[edited by - joelmartinez on February 5, 2004 2:52:39 PM]

quote:
Original post by RonHiler
Yay, here we go with another language flamewar.
hehe, I apologize for that ... it started with just the first three lines of the response. Then the next paragraph got added (just to point out that observation) ... then the edit came to try and ward off any flames that might come from that comment.

No intent to start a flame war believe me :D

Joel Martinez
http://www.codecube.net/

People it will be a flame war only if we make it so. This thread is not about C# or C++. I know their differences and I dont care which is better. I made my choice. I just wanted to know what other people think.
By the way, only in these forums I see flame wars like these. In other forums when a questions like C# or C++ is posted many fruitfull results come out by each and every post. Not even once I have seen people saying anything bad. The same goes for the very old DX or OGL. We are not here to fight but to make conversation and exchange ideas.

quote:
Original post by Antony52
By the way, only in these forums I see flame wars like these. In other forums when a questions like C# or C++ is posted many fruitfull results come out by each and every post. Not even once I have seen people saying anything bad. The same goes for the very old DX or OGL.

What fairyland nirvana forums are these? Language holy wars are older than the Internet. The only forums I've seen these discussions completely combat-free have either very low traffic or very high moderation (and 90% of the time the latter avoid it by purging the discussion).

(edit: spelling)

[edited by - DaTroof on February 5, 2004 5:30:18 PM]

quote:
Original post by Antony52
When making a game and its engine what would you choose:
1)Speed(Use C++)
2)Development Time(Use C# and Managed DirectX)

These arguments aren''t the best. The argument ''speed'' for C++ is so often abused. Sure, a C++ program might run 10% faster, IF you have exactly the same algorith. But if your code gets more complex, maybe the C# JIT compiler will do some tricks and make the code even faster than compiled code.

Speed of development is much more important. I played with managed DirectX a bit and within half an hour I had a spinning triangle in a window that would properly resize the back buffer when resized, handled alt-tab etc.
I then decided to add a FPS counter. After studying how D3Dapp does that I had it working in 10 minutes.

A real argument against it would be that at the moment requiring your users to install the .NET runtime and the managed directx redistributable is a big barrier. It might work if you advertize a free MMORPG 3-months free unlimited trial, but if you say ''hey try out my new bouncing balls demo'' people will say ''no thanks''.

Anyone that uses windows update must have the .NET platform installed. I dont think that any project requires the managed directx redistributable, if it exists anyway since i havent seen anything like this in the msdn downloads. Only the .net platform and the dx 9 redistributable is required.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!