WXWindows vs SDL (which would you choose)

Started by
12 comments, last by Xorcist 20 years, 2 months ago

This is irrelevant to your argument (and it''s not a rebuttal) but I''d argue that SDL_image and friends are *very* separate from SDL itself.
Advertisement
It''s debatable, particularly in the instance of SDL_image which has been offered as a standard part of SDL (and is hosted on the SDL site itself) for a very long time.

Anyway.
Well I am most likely going to have this game running in fullscreen mode as a final product (using windowed mode mainly for debugging purposes). No real need for menus or controls. I see a lot of backing in terms of games developed with SDL, but not that many for wxWindows (in fact I couldn''t find one). Are there any good articles that compare the two? The proposal for this project will be needed shortly so I want to make sure I know which direction it''ll be going in.
They're not very comparable, other than they wrap up the underlying OS message pump. There's dozens of libraries that do that.

For a full-screen app, wxWindows doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you want it work like the Windows Pinball game (has a windowed and full-screen mode).

I haven't used SDL much, and am a fan of wxWindows, but wx doesn't seem like a really good match for what you want.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on February 6, 2004 11:24:58 PM]
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement