• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arg... which API?

This topic is 5219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

whats the best API for very very very very basic 2d graphics. still working on pong and dont want to deal with openGL yet. MFC ATL SDL???? and where can i find references/tutorials on actually using this stuff? thanks.

Advertisement
try Grim2D (http://grim.10tons.org):
- it uses DirectX ~8
- it was used in Crimsonland
- easy to learn
- it also works with keyboard and mouse

[edited by - viator on February 5, 2004 3:41:11 PM]

SDL is easy to work with and I use it myself too. SDL also fits in nicely with opengl so that''s a bonus when you''re ready to make the move to 3d. So another vote here for SDL

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

I would really recommend SDL too. It''s what i''m using for my game (along with ParaGUI). It benefits from being cross-platform as well. I also second the cone3d web site tutorials. I had my text-only game mockup running in a graphics environment within 5 hours of being completely graphics illiterate. It''s that simple.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!