is SDL good for pong

Started by
5 comments, last by machiavelli 20 years, 2 months ago
or MFC, or ATL, or what would be best for the most basic of 2d graphics. and where could i get tutorials on said API. im obviously at the very start of my game programming experience. thanks.
Advertisement
SDL is a very good library and very easy to use, so you should go with it.

Matt
Matt
This may count as a cross post but SDL is a great tool. Go for it.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
only two things i dont like about sdl:

-debugging under windows can be a pain in the xxx (try moving the mouse after hitting a break point if there wasnt enough time since pumping messages). first it was just sluggish, after reinstalling the whole system freezes for 5seconds

-mouse wheel support is a joke and theres no seperate "decent" path for windows (and i dont mention that xxx senddown,sendup hack they did)

the latter probably doesnt matter to you anyway and the former.. maybe youre lucky and one of those without any problems.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
quote:Original post by Trienco
-debugging under windows can be a pain in the xxx (try moving the mouse after hitting a break point if there wasnt enough time since pumping messages). first it was just sluggish, after reinstalling the whole system freezes for 5seconds

if that the massive mouse lag you get after debugging? you can try to ''fix'' it by setting directX settings to "emulating mouse and keyboard".

Everything is better with Metal.

yes

"A soldier is a part of the 1% of the population that keeps the other 99% free" - Lt. Colonel Todd, 1/38th Infantry, Ft. Benning, GA
quote:Original post by oliii
if that the massive mouse lag you get after debugging? you can try to ''fix'' it by setting directX settings to "emulating mouse and keyboard".

its the one i get when i hit a breakpoint or want to make a debug step (especially impossible with a forced 5second break after each keypress). those settings are worth trying (and would mean i forget about their official explanation about directx and locked surfaces when getting video messages).

i way to at least reduce the problem to the situations where messages were pumped shortly before was to call pump yourself and only once and stay away from pollevents as far as possible.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement