Game programming

Started by
12 comments, last by Chedburn 20 years, 2 months ago
I am taking a 3 year course in programming soon. I was hoping someone could answer a question or 2... -What programming does making online games such as ''www.hobowars.com'' use? eg. C++ or CGI? Maybe a combination? -could u give me an example of some C++ or CGI coding? Any info u could give me, maybe a step to step guide (simple) not for me to actualy make an online brower game right now, just so i know what its about, for the future etc... thanks alot
Advertisement
read this thread again after 3 years
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
Check out these Articles & Resources.

Also a good spot to start For Beginners.

[edited by - woodsman on February 5, 2004 4:34:28 PM]
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
With CGI you could use any language. It''s just having a program run on a web server and output a web page taking input from forms. I have used C++ for CGI before, but mostly people don''t, and use a scripting language. I think the most commonly used one is Perl (that''s certainly the one I''m most familiar with for CGI use).
Okay thanks, ive read a few tutorials... Just wondering, what book is best for me? I dont know ne programming, only html. All i want is a book to read so i know how to program an online browser game (text based), no matter how long it takes. Could ne one tell me the best books to read? What is the best type of programming for a text based game?

Thanks alot people!
While there are a few books out there about programming Java applet games for play in the browser, there are no actual books on writing CGI-based games, mainly because I would imagine they''re not that popular.

If you''re dead set on using CGI for your games, get a book about CGI scripting I guess. There''s no such book as "Game Programming With CGI" but there should be plenty of books on CGI programming in general. That should be a decent way to get started.

-Auron
Ok, what would be the best book for general programming please?

C++

thanks
Try "C++ from the ground up" by Herbert Schildt.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072228970/ref=sr_aps_books_1_3/202-7931574-2325455

[edited by - Corvwyn on February 7, 2004 8:14:35 AM]
Thanks alot, wot u think about this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931841438/qid=1076169769/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-1548513-3532419

sounds quite good, may i ask, what sort of games can be made
with C++?

eg.

Online games (textbased) - Hobowars.com
Counterstrike sort games?

Thanks alot!

The book looks interesting, using games as a teaching tool seems like a good idea. I haven't read it, so I'm not certain how good it is. It seems like the book I recommended would give you a better basis in c++. Even though the book might seem a little boring at times you do get a good understanding of c++.

Keep in mind that you need to have a solid understanding of the basics to begin programming games. There is no quick and easy way. Buy a basic book, try making simple console based text-games and advance from there. Check out the "For beginners" section on this site for more info on this.

You can create all possible games in c++. Just about all games on the market is made in c++.

[edited by - Corvwyn on February 7, 2004 12:27:58 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement