Remote desktop and DX8

Started by
6 comments, last by evolutional 20 years, 2 months ago
Hey, I''m trying to develop on my machine using a windows XP remote desktop connection. I can do everything I need to on my remote machine, except run the directx application. The device fails to initialise, for some reason. Does anybody else know of this problem and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks dg [Manta-X] | [Psionic3d]
Advertisement
Please provide more information:
- Debug runtime installed?
- No messages in debug output?

Muhammad Haggag

This may sound silly but you realize that your exe''s must be on the remote system as well as DirectX and a suitable video card.

You should also have the exact same copy of the DX runtime and sdk on your debugging system.

I assume from your post that you can connect as you can debug the device not being created.

What error code does the init method return. Can you even init DirectX??

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Heh, yes. They are on the remote machine too

Okay, I ran DXDiag remotely and found something very interesting. It seems that when I connect remotely to my machine the ''real'' directx device drivers aren''t used. Instead, I''m seeing NULL name and version settings for my card and driver. When I sit at the machine physically and perform the same operation, it''s showing the correct values.

I can only assume that windows remote desktop creates a kind of virtual display device and displayed that over the connection instead.

I installed VNC and it behaves exactly as I expected, just the screen updates are horrible (I''m actually sat using the machine remotely now via VNC). It''s ok for normaly use but when running DirectX, the polls are very slow.

I just wanted to use remote desktop as it seems a lot nicer to use, it''s obviously not intended to play games or even use Direct3d apps.
No, it''s not.

If your issue is with debugging, then Visual Studio has some sort of remote debugging tool, though I''ve never used it.
The issue is actually around using Direct3D as a whole.

It seems only direct draw is supported over remote desktop.
DirectDraw is supported over Remote Desktop? News to me I wonder how they pulled that one off at anything near to real-time...

Anyways the main point is that I''ve never seen a system that could successfully run DirectX apps remotely (with user interaction etc). Netmeeing was even worse: you couldn''t even change the resolution without it blowing up!
Well, i assumed it was DirectDraw that had some form of support or at least emulation - this is based on the random DX Diag tests it did on DirectDraw - most of which seemed ot work. ALl other D3D tests failed; and it wouldn''t allow screen res. changes.

VNC is much more suited

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement