Game Design

Started by
4 comments, last by severehead 20 years, 2 months ago
I recently read up on alot of posts here concerning newbies (just like myself) wanting a job as a game designer, and thinking they could simply get one by having ideas and writing some docs. I don''t remember who said it but someone said something like everyone has an imagination and it''s a big difference between just thinking and actually applying ideas. Which is very right, and I believe the only way you will get a game designer job is through hard work and perhaps some luck, this is true for most of peoples dream jobs. You don''t dream of a job that''s easy to get now do you? I''m rambling... But I tought of something, I as many other people have ideas for games, everyone has them, and some might be very good and make games sell a shitload. But I don''t want a game designer job, I already have my dreamjob. What I was thinking is what about all these people who wants no money for their ideas, who just wants to submit them to a company and give them copyright, because they just want to see their ideas being applied. Do you think any companies would even look at ideas people send in, if they state that these are of free use as they release copyright and give it to them? If so this would be something to think about for all you who wants to be game designers, maybe it''s not something for you, because of various reasons, but you can perhaps see your ideas applied? Just a tought.
Advertisement
There are two truths that you have to remember.

1) Ideas (for the most part) are a dime a dozen. Except for that rare 0.001% of ideas that are truly gems, anyone can have any idea.

2) Game Designers (those already working the field) already have a ton of ideas of what they'd like thier game to be. If you had a chance to design a game, would you go with your idea or some idea that a 15 year old kid sent you?

Even in the odd chance that there is that next new game designer-in-the-making with a truly great idea out there sending ideas, you'd have to sift through millions of other not so great ideas to have a chance at finding it.

Outside of minor suggestions for gameplay/balance tweaks, ideas and suggestions submitted to developers simply goes largely unnoticed. That's just the way it is.

[edited by - Deathscythe on February 6, 2004 7:17:24 AM]
President: Video Game Development Club of UCIhttp://spirit.dos.uci.edu/vgdc
Thanks for the reply.

Trust me though, I really know that ideas are a dime a dozen, tought that was clear, as I said it''s a big difference applying and just having an idea.

Number 2, this is true, I''d go with my own.

What you are saying about minor suggestions is actually more along the lines of what I''m thinking. Not sending in ideas for a whole game, but say you hear of a game that''s under development, and you want to send in some ideas for that game, e.g. concerning gameplay tweaks, or weapons/creatures, whatever really. Is it possible to get those noticed so that they are at least looked at and considered?
http://www.alanemrich.com/

Alan is a long time game designer and teaches game design in california. he has written some articles on this very topic.
I wouldn''t bother sending your ideas to a company. Most companies are legally bound *not* to look at such ideas.
quote:Original post by leiavoia
http://www.alanemrich.com/

Alan is a long time game designer and teaches game design in california. he has written some articles on this very topic.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement