• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

engine design

This topic is 5187 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi! i want to write my own 3d engine.. right now i''m in the design phase.. and i got some questions i would like to ask.. 1. i don''t really know that much about engine design.. has anyone a good link to an article/tutorial about the conceptional design? 2. i read the kernel/task approach in the enginutiy series.. does this really make sense? i guess there is only one renderer, only one inputsystem, only one soundsystem,.. or should each ai-entity act as seperate task? so much desicions, so little time lg, franz

Advertisement
The task system is mainly created so that the kernel "knows" what it must do: each task has a stop, start, update.
Now Kernel can do: Kernel->Task->Update(); (eg. in a loop)
If you would make a non-task class, the kernel can''t do this anymore, because it doesn''t know how the non-task class works.
So the task class has nothing do to with one or multiple instances, but all with giving the kernel a solid (task) class.
Try implenting a singleton for each class, where there should be only one. Also I would recommend reading the whole enginutiy serie and download some more engines (ogre, cat mother, etc).
Just try to compare, understand and test the code: works best for me!

• Advertisement