Staying away from Co-Op play

Started by
25 comments, last by SiliconToad 20 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by HemoGloben
I don''t know if any of you have actually thought about network Co-op, but it''s hard. It requires sync with randomizers, and tons of other little choices that usually an indiviual computer makes. Trying to sync these, while still running a normal game, is hard and resource tasking. Not just on the computer, but to develop also.

There is literally no difference between networked deathmatch and networked coop. None. All that changes is the rules of the game and the scoring system - you don''t get points for killing your friends. The architecture required to sync lifts and doors between players provides for syncing pretty much anything, including AI agents.

I also agree that coop multiplayer is (a) better than singleplayer and (b) better than deathmatch. They''re my friends; why do I want to be shooting them? Much more fun to be saving their asses when they''re too incompetent to get out of the way of the Big-Assed Monster™.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
its all a government conspiracy to prevent us from cooperating with each other and rallying against them. they want us all to fight with each other so we don''t care about them? you see? its all so clear!
quote:Original post by superpig

There is literally no difference between networked deathmatch and networked coop.

I couldn''t agree more - if a game is going to include multiplayer in the form of deathmatch, it doesn''t seem much of a stretch to allow cooperative play as well. And also, if while playing some of the main game levels in cooperative mode some slightly odd effects do occur, such as seeing enemies spawn or puzzles becoming trivial, I think most players would be pretty forgiving. I for one would certainly take the view that it was better to be allowed to play cooperatively even if there are glitches, rather than not because some of the levels wouldn''t work as intended.
Loitering Within Tent
I was under the impression (I hang around HL2.net a lot) that the Sven team have been appointed by Valve to be the official coop mod makers, so they''ll get Valve''s support in making it, but Valve won''t be officially shipping it with HL2.
Three of the best Co-op games I''ve played are: (in no particular order)

Serious Sam (PC) your basic FPS on steriods
coop mode was implamented very nicely, wep pickups stayed, I thinka ammo to. and MOBs grew more powerful for each player you added (very powerful, first set dificulty, then for start of coop pick percent of dificulty (up to 200%) then percent PER ADDITIONAL PLAYER (again up to 200%), and you can have up to 16 players in coop mode.) Man what a LAN game.

Diablo 2 (PC) Well done RPG
Coop was basic play with another person. I think there was a dificulty bonus per player, but don''t remember. Very nice was the ability to play over diablo net for people in different areas.

Gunstar Heros (Sega Genesis)
This is a classic, still played by friend and I even after all this time. side-scrolling shooter, with weps being built on a combo of four items, (total of 10 combinations) and very fast paced. Only one area where coop mode made it dificult (fighting the other player to get ahead, the Dice room for those who''ve played it).

This is a very great way to play and in games that I will be working on I will always have this feature with multiplayer modes.

Erik of Ekedahl

I am a madman running through the halls of computer latency, freeing the dark-suckers from their pedistals of atrophy... man I need some sleep.
I am a madman running through the halls of computer latency, freeing the dark-suckers from their pedistals of atrophy... man I need some sleep.
I''d like to see more coop games too. The problem is many developers have to cut features they planned to put in the game just to ship on time. Big developers like Blizzard almost always put coop play in their game - its just the million other knock-offs that leave it out. For that matter, plenty of console games have coop too. I guess it depends on how much you believe in your project, and how much money you''ve got to play with.
With regard to cinematics and key events, why not just make the first player the "trigger" player and let 2up just play? Time Splitters 2 generally just let 2up inhabit some NPC. I remember the Western level that put him in the body of an imprisoned gunfighter, and you didn''t get to play until player 1 completed the objective that freed that particular NPC. And then you had to find a gun. A little annoying, but effective.

So let player 2 run and gun to his heart''s content, and have player 1 trigger animations and encounters. It''s a cop-out, sure, but co-op isn''t about story, it''s about gameplay, and if I have to be mysteriously present in the level, that''s fine.

As for puzzles and the like, there''s no point in having multiple players tackling a puzzle designed for one, so just have them sit around and holler advice at player 1 until the puzzle is finished, and then jump back into the game. Or go ahead and make puzzles that are possible, even easier, for multiple characters. I can''t remember what the game was, but there''s a level where a single player had to go the long way ''round but two guys in co-op can use a series of pressure switches to bypass the puzzle. That''s good stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement