• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ketchaval

Zelda with FF statistics

This topic is 5393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wonder how well the action based combat of Zelda, could be combined with the extra depth and strategy that the Final Fantasy series statistical base brings with it? Whilst still being good fun. Evidently, it is possible to use statistics that relate to weapon use (ie. doing low damage at low character levels). But how does realtime skill based play conflict with strategic use of abilities? Could they be combined in a satisfying hybrid?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Does not conflict much if done right, so yes.

Have you played the Seiken Densetsu series of games (Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Legend of Mana, Sword of Mana)? Those combine Zelda-style realtime combat with Final Fantasy-style stats and equipment.

I have no experience in the matter beyond watching my girlfriend on Zelda and having played FF6. But I''d think that the action-based combat would prevent me from playing FF6 properly. I spent a lot of time choosing the most effective move at any given point and was able to apply it regardless of position.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

i was going to say they already made that game, but someone beat me to it.

They called it "Secret of Mana" (with accompanying sequels). Awesome game BTW

Secret of mana was a great game. Wasn''t it the first game to be developed by the us based development house of squaresoft?
I was unaware that it was part of an entire series of games. I''m going to have to catch up on those.

actually, Secret of Evermore was the first US-Square game. Mana was wonderfull, but Seiken Densetsu 3 (it''s JAP-only sequel) was not that good, although it had some interesting features. The whole weapon system was terrible. I''ve never played the two newer playstation games (SNES was the golden age, lets face it!).

I''m not sure which came first, but the nintendo''s Ys and Crystalis were more along the lines of the first action RPGs. If those two are predated, I don''t know by what.

Ys sucked.

Crystalis had rather simplistic stats, and they basically just boiled down to damage rates. If you played according to the difficulty curve, then the game was more about solid action rather then stat tinkering, which is how it probably should be.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!