• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gamedesign101

Total beginner books/tips/advice

This topic is 5363 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok for a while now I have been wanting to learn C++ for game design, but I''m a total newbie to this but still am very interested in it. For my beginners books I have decided that I may buy these books would you reccomend them to a learner that has no programming skills? Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (4th Edition) (there also was a 6th edition some where on there which would be the best?) and/or Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition) Which would be the best? I think the tricks of windows game programming comes with a CD, is the CD usefull? or is it something I can download for free? So I''m asking your opinion on those books! Also pass along some helpful articles/links/usefull info to help me learn game programming! Once I get more time i''m going to read around this website it seems to be filled with usefull info! thanks! (please comment on those books if you know anything about them)

Advertisement
Get a good C++ book. Just C++. I''d recommend a Deitel book. Others will recommend some other titles but let me say it again, you want to start with simple text screens and straight C++. After a few months of that you might want to look into TOTWGPG. Cheers and luck.

I don''t know much about those books, and I learned C++ long after I learned programming, but I do know that About.com''s C++ Tutorials have helped a lot in learning new things about C++, or as a reference. I suppose the beginning tutorials are reasonable, too. It''d be at least something to check out, although I''m sure there''re better sites out there.

Theres a pretty good c++ tutorial with VC++ 6. Sams is ok, but maybe a bit advanced for starting off. I learnt c++ from the tutorials at cprogramming.com.

whoops, they''re both published by Sams, well i mean the the "tricks.." is a bit advanced and its not C++, its the next stage up from that, the API, structuring, Philosophy etc..

Most C++ books and tutorials will be pretty much the same.

I''ve read both Teach yourself c++ in 21 days, and C++ Primer Plus(author:stephen pratta).

IMO, I extremely recommend getting C++ Primer Plus.

quote:
Original post by deathtrap
I''ve read both Teach yourself c++ in 21 days, and C++ Primer Plus(author:stephen pratta).

IMO, I extremely recommend getting C++ Primer Plus.

for a total noobie?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!