Total beginner books/tips/advice

Started by
33 comments, last by Gamedesign101 20 years, 2 months ago
As an addition to all those books folks have mentioned I also suggest you buy the C++ standard for $18, if you''re going with C++. I also use msdn C++ reference to see MS C++ implementation rules and limits.
Advertisement
I bought a heap of books from ebay saving lots of £££, one of them was sams teach yourself c++ in 21 days(4th edition box set) i thought it was quite clearly written compared to Visual C++ 6 for dummies that just didnt seem to explain in much detail.
As for teaching you to program in 21 days not going to happen, one reason, you read some and hopefully take it in then try it out losing hours either trying to get it to work or just playing around. But i would say thats a good thing.

Always keep reference books to hand, I do electronic repairs, without diagrams bloody hard, with diagrams alot easier.

Boo!! I know all.
so why are there less pages with the one with the CD? are the other 300 pages on the cd? I''m talking about the one that comes with the CD compilar thing, there are 2 different ones one that comes with a CD and one that doesn''t...just the book and no CD has 900 pages and the one with the CD has 600...why is that?
quote:Original post by Gamedesign101
...just the book and no CD has 900 pages and the one with the CD has 600...why is that?

I''m not familiar with the book, but I wouldn''t be surprised if those 300 extra pages are just appendices containing full length source-code to almost every example in the book. But with the CD, all the examples are already in their proper files and proper directories, with projects and everything already set up.

quote:Original post by Gamedesign101
...it comes with a compiler, which is I''m guessing what you enter the code in?

Yes, the compiler is what you enter code into, sort of. Well, technically, it is what takes code that you''ve already written, and turns it into an actual program that can be executed. You can write the .cpp and .h files in any text editor, including notepad. And if you ever see the term IDE, that stands for Integrated Development Environment, and is a program (better than notepad) used to enter code. An IDE usually has syntax coloring stuff, the ability to easily manage multiple files, possibly a debugger, a way to manage settings easily that the compiler will use, etc. Dev-C++ is an example of an IDE. GCC is an example of a compiler. MS VC++ is both an IDE and a compiler.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
well thanks everyone for your help! I went ahead and ordered it, the sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days, compilar edition

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement