• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_DarkWIng_

Generating occluders from polysoup

This topic is 5397 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m starting to implement occlusion culling in my engine. I decided for a verison of HOM and for it I need occluders. I can''t just send a few 2k meshes to SW renderer just to create occlusion map. I need a way to reduce them to something simple. All the examples of this OC method have occluders selected by hand or just provided with scene without any explanation how to generate them. So I''ve been searching for a while now to find something about this and came up emptyhanded. The best idea how to do it myself is something like "inverted" convex hull - hull generated "inside" the model. That wouldn''t be that difuclut if the models would be closed meshes. But I just can figure out how to do it with polysoup. So if anyone has any bright ideas on generating good low-poly occluders please reply! You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by _DarkWIng_

There was paper about generating occluders from polysoup. The idea is simple - build an octree from the soup until each node contains < N primitives or is small enough. Then for every node check if its faces are suited for occluders (are completely inside the mesh {BSP the poly soup to get that info} or something like that, I don''t remember.
Will try to find the paper.

Hi i''ve worked on occlusion culling , but things didin''t go as i expected , i had an heuristic to start the occlusion proces given by the area of the fused occluders, this means that i sent every surface to a software renderer and when the are occluded was over a certain threshold the queryng process began, the bad thing was that if you want to use such method , you should have reduced set for your geometry often called virtual occluders, basically you have a simpler version of your map and use that for occlusion culling, unfortunately the process is not trivial since you should preserve every door/window to allow line of sight, i think that th emost effective way is using a simpler model , sending a certain amount of polygon using a function to rasterize complex polygon with cracks inside and when the threshold is reache start quering every other surface you send for occlusion test.
You should also try the opengl extension for occlusion culling
but from what i have read has many problems with the rendering pipeline ( bubbling ) .
Sorry for my english

@Zemedelec: I already have octree build (or rather ABT) but getting the occluders is another thing. Please try to find that paper.

@v71: I know all that. I just need algoritem to generate virtual occluders form polysoup. And HW occlusion is out of the question. It''s just too slow for now.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

You have two possible ways to do it. Screen space (1) and 3D space (2). (1) is more accurate but costs more RT CPU. (2) is maybe more efficient, since it caches geometric informations but it''s also certainly much more complex to handle ... automatically.

I don''t think you may find a confortable "inverse" convex hull algo in general. This might be possible for closed and non transparent objects. I would think of an inversed adaptative mesh algo. Build parents recursively, verifying that when you merge 2 or more triangles you keep inside the original volume. However when you remove a vertex, you''ll have to bend separate edges to make a straight one which may be difficult in most cases. Once you have removed most faces it should be easier to modify the mesh and then split it into connex convex hulls. The guidelines are, since in the object you target two convex hulls are necessarilly separated by a convex facet, you have to test every cycle of edges, a kind of A* to hold the same "direction" and rough planarity, then test "rough" convexity, displace vertices so that this cycle beciomes actually convex, check that the mesh still fits inside the original volume (ray cast ?), then split the mesh till you only have convex parts.

I suspect the ideal algo is very hard to imagine, then implement and the processing complexity will certainly be very high. AI, Genetic algorithms ? I don''t even speak of non closed models, or partially transparent models.

Since you are using a HOM, it seems easier to work in screen space. You can use outlines as in stencil shadow or other shadow volume techniques.

My viewpoint is I would consider a production flow that lets artist add handmade CSG data (convex shapes merged). If a model is 8 hours of work, this would only add marginally to the artist work load, probably 30 minutes or one hour. It may also be useful to shape the initial model with convex parts and then refine, thus it would cost nearly nothing. This data would help for collision detection and incidently for occlusion culling. I know it''s not your initial question but surely something I plan to apply one day.

I also implemented a software HOM, inspired by YannL''s descriptions of his HOM.
I searched a solution for automatic occluders generation for a few days, but all the solutions I could come up with were not good enough or didn''t work in all cases.
ATM, the occluders are created by the artists, at the same time as the models, an occlusion shader is bound to them, and the engine extracts them at load time. and it''s almost nothing to do for the artists compared to the actual modelling.

an idea I had would be to split the whole model in convex volumes, and then to try connecting all these convex volumes by faces that should stay inside the volumes. (you would remove volumes under a certain size, to throw away small details, and later on, occlusion faces that are too small), but this was only the rough process, not how to implement it, and implementing this: "split the whole model in convex volumes, and then to try connecting all these convex volumes by faces that should stay inside the volumes" is all but trivial, and it might not be a good solution either, so I don''t really know if it''s worth the effort...

Thanks for suggestions sBibi & Charles B. I tought about using some kind of algoritem simmilar to progressive mesh generation or mesh optimizer. But using something like that reqires either convex mesh to start with or somehow making sure the new verison is inside the bounds of original mesh. The second method seems quite difficult to realize. I''m gonna try first to find something on generating convex volumes form mesh.

@sBibi: Was implementing HOM worth the trouble? What were the performance gains?

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

I suggest that you take Zhang's approach and pregenerate covex hulls for the meshes this way your meshes are reduced to simple planes. Then you can easily project the planes to device coordinates and process them from back to front in the eye space and finally calculate the visible surface areas. You can actually do this front to back, however either way, you have to calculate the first and last entry twice.

This requires no z-buffer access, however pregenerating covex hulls can be a though task. On the otherhand if you know exactly what your objects are, then generating them is not that hard.

I have not implemented this myself, but my friend has a working implementation and to tell the truth, it is quite fast even un-optimized.

Edit: I had a link how to generate convex hull out of polysoup, but I seem to have lost. I'll update this after talking to my friend.

[edited by - captian goatse on February 7, 2004 8:12:20 AM]

In an effort of mine, at that time i ''ve pregenerated virtual occluders as follows : i''ve grouped adiacent triangle and fused them until they became a polygon with a fixed numbr of vertices, those polygon need to be coplanar, at rendering time
i rasterized them on a memory buffer for testing occlusion
generate this kind of coplanar surface isn''t hardly complicated
it is based on the fact that you need to find every triangle shared by a side of the current triangle you are iterating during a cycle.

I actually just went through a contest with a topic similar to this

I found the best solution was a mix between static and virtual selection.

During load times, We calculated an object's area (based on it's generated AABB) and set a % value (against the size of the map)to determine if it is an occluder or not.
On top of this, our static occluders can be supplimented with virtual occluders, which are generated during run time, by using the Screen Space Bounding Rectangle as an estimate of volume. Again, an % value here (against the screen size) determines if an object can be a virtual occluder.

This system allows for some interesting properties. Firstly, if an object is going to be an occluder all the time, then it needs to stay one regardless, so a pure virtual solution wouldn't suffice. At the same time, Occludee's can become Occluders at close distances, so we allow virtual occluders to be recognized too.

The only real problem I ran into was the fact that in some cases, we'd end up with occluders hiding eachother. (most of the time, it was virtual hiding static) I found that I could bypass this by doing a 2nd occlusion test on virtual occluders to the static ones, minimizing the amount of data sent to the software rasterizer. (althought the extra overhead on the rasterizer was minimal, so this extra test wasn't really needed)

I'm using a pretty low grade LOD engine (in which the LOD's are created by the artist, and actually stored in the map) so I actually send the lowest LOD version of an occluder to the software rasterizer.

This method isn't really a "fix all" solution, but it does find alot of middleground between the techniques, and kinda gets the best from both of them.

My Paper: Software Rasterization for Improved Occlusion Culling

Hope that helped.

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave

[edited by - duhroach on February 7, 2004 12:02:55 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!