Generating occluders from polysoup

Started by
13 comments, last by _DarkWIng_ 20 years, 2 months ago
_DarkWing_: "Was implementing HOM worth the trouble? What were the performance gains?"

an average of 60/70% of objects culled away, but that's because I do quite a lot of approximations, and the culling sometimes (often :D) gets a little too conservative (I rasterize occluders without approximations, but to test for occlusions, I rasterize the screenspace bounding rectangle of the AABBs, also, the way I choose occluders isn't really good, and doesn't take into account occluders screenspace surface, so sometimes it leads to bad results, I only choose the 10 nearest biggest occluding objects, and render their occluders into the base 0 occlusion map. with better occluder selection, going down to something around 5 would probably give similar or better results...)

about pure performance, as my pipeline is in a full redesign process, I haven't taken advantage of aa full CPU/GPU parallelisation yet, so I don't get the occlusion maps for "free", but rendering the occluders + generating the HOMS from the base HOM level eats about 1.3-2 ms per frame, and there still are optimisations to make in the renderer. testing for occlusion is really really fast if you use the screenspace bounding rectangle of the AABB, and jump to the next HOM level as soon as you find a visible pixel (I don't have the timings in mind, but when testing for occlusion whatever space partitioning tree nodes volumes you have, you get some kind of dynmic pvs and can avoid testing a huge amount of objects, so in the end, there isn't that much tests anyway).

and that wasn't a trouble to implement at all. only a 2 days work to get everything working... the most difficult part is what you are trying to do: automatically generate occluders and also find a good way to select them.

v71>
quote:In an effort of mine, at that time i 've pregenerated virtual occluders as follows : i've grouped adiacent triangle and fused them until they became a polygon with a fixed numbr of vertices, those polygon need to be coplanar, at rendering time
i rasterized them on a memory buffer for testing occlusion
generate this kind of coplanar surface isn't hardly complicated
it is based on the fact that you need to find every triangle shared by a side of the current triangle you are iterating during a cycle.

mmh.. doesn't simply grouping coplanar polygons leave you with too many polys to render for complex geometry?

duhroach>
quote:During load times, We calculated an object's area (based on it's generated AABB) and set a % value (against the size of the map)to determine if it is an occluder or not.

I also wanted to generate that % value this way, but simply considering the AABB won't work very well. if you've got something like a scaffholding, typically, it will be quite big, but full of holes, so have a large AABB but a very poor occlusion factor.

duhbroach>
quote:This system allows for some interesting properties. Firstly, if an object is going to be an occluder all the time, then it needs to stay one regardless, so a pure virtual solution wouldn't suffice. At the same time, Occludee's can become Occluders at close distances, so we allow virtual occluders to be recognized too.

mmh... I wonder if that's a good way of doing things. even an object that's going to be an occluder all the time can become an occludee at some stage.
what I do currently is test for occlusion all objects/nodes that have not been choosen as occluders. I don't really see in what case treating some objects as static occluders can be useful?

quote:I'm using a pretty low grade LOD engine (in which the LOD's are created by the artist, and actually stored in the map) so I actually send the lowest LOD version of an occluder to the software rasterizer.

does this imply your LOD mesh is never bigger than the original mesh (so objects aren't seen as occluded when they are actually visible?)
and I loved Yann's example of collumns, that could be approximated as teo crossed quads, nothing to do with the original geometry, but really good occluders...

EDIT: typos

[edited by - sBibi on February 9, 2004 11:04:57 AM]
Advertisement
quote:I also wanted to generate that % value this way, but simply considering the AABB won''t work very well. if you''ve got something like a scaffholding, typically, it will be quite big, but full of holes, so have a large AABB but a very poor occlusion factor.

Yea, that''s a common problem, but the only solutionh we provided was to subdivide a mesh into AABB nodes, so that a composite AABB would actually be a tightly fitting box.

quote:
mmh... I wonder if that''s a good way of doing things. even an object that''s going to be an occluder all the time can become an occludee at some stage.
I don''t really see in what case treating some objects as static occluders can be useful?

A good occluder, is always a good occluder. Take for instance a large mountain range that hides a forest behind it. Even at a large enough distance at which the mountain would not be chosen as a virtual occluder, it still would be a good choice, due to the forest it hides. Having a way to pre-determine static occluders will minimize the chance of rendering that forest.

quote:
what I do currently is test for occlusion all objects/nodes that have not been choosen as occluders.

Well that''s essencially a double pass occlusion test, but still gets into problems as you decide what your "first pass" occluder objects are. Mainly because if you choose an object as a base occluder, that''s hidden by another object, you''re really not gaining anything.

With my implimentations i don''t take into account occluder vs. occluder action, and I have yet to see a substancial performance hit (or one at all really)

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave
==Colt "MainRoach" McAnlisGraphics Engineer - http://mainroach.blogspot.com
Thanks for some great sugestions. Right now I'm searching for some polycount reduction algorithems. I'm hoping to be able to modify one of them, so I can create some virtual occluders automaticly. For now I'll just try static occluders. Like the closest 10 or so.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

[edited by - _DarkWIng_ on February 10, 2004 6:28:09 AM]
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Here's a good link.

IMO, frustum culling with convex hull edges seems like the thing to do, to me.

-------
The problem with common sense is that it is never common.

[edited by - Countach on February 10, 2004 10:16:03 AM]
-------homepage - email
Occluder simplificatin actually depends on what data you need in your occlusion map. If you''re doing a standard HOM, then your occlusion map just contains boolean data if a bit was drawn there or not. In this case, you can preform a occluder mesh simplification by projecting all occluders to the near plane and doing an mesh-reconstruction on the points. From there, a LOD implimentation on the resulting mesh will result in a very small number of polygons.

If however, you''re using the depth buffer approach that Yann talked about, you can''t construct that sort of mesh, due to the loss of depth information you get from the projection, and the LOD calulations. Any sort of combination of data, with an LOD will change the depth values of a given occluder, which will alter how your tests work. The only suitable way I found to reduce the load on the SWRast while maintaining the depth information was to just send the lowest LOD of the occluder to the pipeline.

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave
==Colt "MainRoach" McAnlisGraphics Engineer - http://mainroach.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement