• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a good rendering loop

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I started rewriting my renderer in hopes of making it substantially faster. I have found that I may be looping through the vertices and triangles of each mesh too many times. In my old loop, I went through the mesh once per light for lighting, 3-4 times per light for stencil shadow volumes, once per light for bump map coords, and another time to finally render it. That's obviously enough looping to kill any performance I might have had. So, I came up with this psuedo code loop, and was wondering if some of you guys could critique it, or what-not (For clarity: My renderer will render batches of meshes per material by using its own pre-allocated vertex array):
for( each draw_pack) //a draw_pack contains info like depth testing and blending functions

{
	SetupDrawPack();

for( each material )//a material contains texture info

{
		SetupMaterial(); //binds current textures

for( each visible mesh )
		{
			for(each visible triangle)
			{
				for(each light)
				{
					light.AddLightingToTriangle(curTri);
					light.AdjustEmbossMapTexCoords(curTri);
					light.shadowVolume[curVolume].AddData(curTri);

AddTriIndicesToGlobalIndiceList(curTri);

}
			}

for(each vertice)
			{
				AddVertDataToGlobalVertList(curVert);
			}
		}
	}

SubmitGlobalVertList();
	ClearLists();				//doesn't iterate through list, just sets # used to 0

}

DrawShadowVolumesEtc();

Anyway, i may have forgotten some things, but i was just hoping some of you could critique the basic loop. Thankyou for any help! ----------------------------- I never chew my cabbage twice [edited by - odiousangel on February 6, 2004 4:04:07 PM] [edited by - odiousangel on February 6, 2004 4:05:47 PM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement