Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microsoft Research releases source for Allegiance

This topic is 5091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Microsoft Research(they develop games?) has released the source for a game called Allegiance. Personally, I''ve never even heard of it, but the trailers etc.. at the game site look cool. The game site is at http://www.microsoft.com/games/allegiance/multimedia.htm, while the source can be downloaded from http://research.microsoft.com/research/allegiance/. The zip is 500 megs, so 56K people probably shouldn''t bother. -- AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system. [Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]

I actually think I considered buying this once.

Upon looking at the game feature I though, "Hey, I looked at this once." Then the name came back to me and I relized (well, think) I looked into this game once?

Can we get it free now?

Clearly one of Microsofts rebelious subordinates... MS giving out source code, who woulda thought? (I''ll probably get some coomment over this last statement...)

I was a little curious, so I started downloading it... But I was only getting 56K speeds, and I''m on broadband... So I said forget it. Not that important to look at it.

I like the way the EULA text is a stupidly small font you can''t actually read properly...

Anyway, I remember thinking this game looked interesting when it first came out, but lacking any sensible net connection at the time I never bothered to buy it.

Anyway... this looks interesting. Downloading now.

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
I''m just wondering whether there''s media in that zip as well(500 megs of source???).

Yeah it includes the media: models, textures, sounds, etc.

I still haven''t been able to download that damn thing. I get horrible download speeds(~8KB/s), and the last time I tried the FTP server went down 5 minutes before it was done. Grr.

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
I still haven''t been able to download that damn thing. I get horrible download speeds(~8KB/s), and the last time I tried the FTP server went down 5 minutes before it was done. Grr.

?Resume? ive downloaded it with dap and stopped the dl over night

T2k

Man! what a cool job it must be to work at Microsoft Research ... can''t wait to delve into the source and see how they put everything together.

This game is a ton of fun, I played it at Beta. It seems like a better effort at making teamwork important, and the way you can have multiperson vehichles is great ^_^

Man, the download speed is crazy, It drops fast...
210 kb/sec... 160 kb/sec... 55 kb/sec and stuck there
Oh well, I''ll wait 2 hours because it should be interesting.

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Is it in a compilable and playable state? Just out of curiosity...

Also, what happened to the project that caused them to drop it?

I managed to get the download... and I''ve been pouring over the code - well at least for an hour. All I can say is wow! I''m simply amazed by the way they wrote the game and server. It looks as if they were trying to prove to somebody that you could write a game using COM. Yet, when it comes to database access they used the old ODBC API''s... Use it for nothing more than a learning experience...

And hey wow, I''m doing this from my Pocket PC

Dave Dak Lozar Loeser

"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."
--anonymous

quote:
Original post by UltimaX
Man, the download speed is crazy, It drops fast...
210 kb/sec... 160 kb/sec... 55 kb/sec and stuck there
Oh well, I''ll wait 2 hours because it should be interesting.

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Quit whining. At least you get more then around 10 kb >_<. Problem is, download managers do not resume from ftp sites (isp problem, not software) so its hell for me to download, something always happens (server error, computer crash, POWER OUT!)

Anyone by any chance have this on http and will let me download from it for a few days? if so, please email me and let me know.

| TripleBuffer Software |
| Plug-in Manager :: System Information Class :: C++ Debug Kit :: DirectX Tutorials :: Awesome Books |

From what i understand its not playable, theres an authentication server that they no longer have that will need to be written for the game work. Or the game modified to work without it.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

quote:
Problem is, download managers do not resume from ftp sites

Maybe that''s true for the ones you use, but FreshDownload resumes ftps, this download inlcuded.

Additionally many ftp programs resume downloads now. I know that the latestest version WSFTP does this.

quote:
Original post by neurokaotix
Open source zealots everywhere just shit a huge brick

Not when you actually read the license. The assymetry between clauses 3 and 5 is revealing.

3: "You can't sell your stuff, nor license it in other terms than these."
5: "Microsoft gets your stuff for free, and can sell it if they want to."

Of course, since it's their code in the first place, they sure can license it any way they want, I'm just not interested.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

[edited by - Fruny on February 10, 2004 4:30:49 AM]

quote:
Original post by Useless Hacker
quote:
Original post by IFooBar
(isp problem, not software)

hes using winroute (iam 99% sure), heh there is an option to prevent resume from download accelerators, very nasty

T2k