• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Samith

Polynomial Regression

This topic is 5365 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I have a scatter plot of points and I want to find the best fitting polynomial to that plot of points, how would I go about doing that? I''ve searched Google.com a bit and it seems like it might be pretty hard, but then again maybe some of the members here could point me in the right direction or tell me the basic idea of how it''s done. If it''s really advanced math (by really advanced I mean like....more advanced than basic (I stress the word basic) calculus, I hardly know how to calculate integrals) then maybe you could tell me something a bit easier, maybe trinomial regression (don''t know if that would be easier, but...tri < poly ) or something like that. The reason I''m doing this is to see what would happen if a set up a neural network with a bunch of inputs and had it analyze random numbers you give it, and see if it can predict the next number you''ll give it. I know the chances of it working are slim, so if you''re going to post just to tell me that, then don''t post anything at all.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Try the method of least squares.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/post.asp?method=reply&topic_id=206049

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry, bad link.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeastSquaresFitting.html

Nice link! I remember learning about the method of least squares in math earlier this year, but we never went much into detail with it. Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!