• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terrain editor

This topic is 5130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi dows anyone know any good terrain generator some thing like the way unrealed create terrain the way you can raise,flatten and noise etc (maybe source code as well) i would like to know how to create this for my terrain creator on my editor thanks perfect game studios steve bishop

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by perfect-game studios
hi dows anyone know any good terrain generator some thing like the way unrealed create terrain the way you can raise,flatten and noise etc (maybe source code as well) i would like to know how to create this for my terrain creator on my editor thanks
perfect game studios

steve bishop

Amazing. Not one full stop in that entire post.

Anyway, grammar aside, there are a few terrain programs out there. Try searching Google. GameDev member Raduprv has a decent one here: http://hme.sourceforge.net/. Another excellent terrain program is Terragen. The vast majority of terrain editors are greyscale heightmap editors, and operate like picture editing software (Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, etc.) They have tools like Generate Terrain (using an algorithm, usually Perlin noise, or something like that) Darken (lower terrain), Lighten (raise terrain), Smooth Terrain (a simple blur filter), stuff like that. www.gametutorials.com have some heightmap/terrain tutorials, which I've found quite handy when coding terrain editing software. They're in the OpenGL tutorials section...

Windows 95 - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on February 6, 2004 8:05:28 PM]

• Advertisement