• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheater-proof Timer!

This topic is 5188 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello friends, I am planning to make a program that controls the in''s and out''s of a company''s workers. By in''s and out''s I mean their get to work and get out of work TIME, respectively. Knowing this time I''ll be able to know whether one has or has not arrived in time. Well, that''s what I expect from a fair worker. I might as well be worried about CHEATERS, that may reprogram the system''s clock (Windows simple double clicking down right clock) making me believe that they have arrived in time, since I will have no other control of this. Please, can you help me how to prevent one from doing this, or... some way to track the CHEATERS that may try to do it? For time counting I''ll probably be using some multimedia/system timer function. By the way, I intend to program it under VB.NET. Thank you all for your attention, The cheater slayer

Advertisement
Moniter the system time for changes, say check the time every 3 seconds and if the time has changed since last time by more than 7 seconds sound error, otherwise store time and loop.

Thank you,
I had thought of it, but someone could change the clock BEFORE the program is running...
Correct me if I misunderstood your post.
Thanks again,
cheater slayering!

Hmm... unless you want to leave the program running all the time I don''t really have any idea how you could do it

I suppose that you have some kind of network at work. In such case, easiest solution is to make worker computers contact master server when they login and log out. This way you only need to trust master server - it can be your computer for example, password protected.

Of course, if your workers will get smart enough, they can as well write their own programs and leave computers turned on overnight to log them at correct time. But if we are at this point, they can as well hack into your computer, put a sniffer and steal your bank account info/password/etc, or even worse, eavesdrop your ICQ chats...

Generally, master server should work - but tell your workers that they are monitored. This way it will be just different way of time punchcard. If you will try to hide it, they will dicover it soon anyway, but you will leave very bad impression of ''spying'' instead just ''monitoring'' or ''controlling''.

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Oh, woe! Woe! If only desktop PCs had An unchangeable clock!

I''m still laughing about that thread.

The only way to do it woulkd be to have a server that when the person logs into their workstation it posts a message to your server which is responsible for keeping track of the time and user logged.

It should be really easy using VB.NET

Well...
The workers are not smart enough to code a program. Let''s say they are smart to change clock time only and (laughs) they are not going to hack my computer and steal bank account, hehe...

The issue is, the program is not working under a network, so there''s not the server option (which would be a good idea!).
So, I thought of Rambobones'' idea of running the program all way through... I mean, not the program that controls workers in''s and out''s but just a light (would it be light?) program that runs on second plan and tracks whether someone has changed clock''s time.

I could put it in startup or windows registry (is there windows registry for win98?). But the big problem would be to hide it... i mean... it would be easier making some code under Visual C++...or some console program... don''t know... how would I actually hide the program from the workers? Someway they couldn''t ctrl+alt+del see it...
Can you help me round here?

Thanks again,
cheater slayered

Dude, just run an operating system that doesn''t allow them to change the clock (NT, 2000, XP) and password-protect the BIOS.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

• Advertisement