Cheater-proof Timer!

Started by
15 comments, last by dannyxyz23 20 years, 2 months ago
You could sync up with a public NTP server when they log in...
[EDIT] nevermind... No network... I see.

DracosX:

Master of the General Protection Fault

[edited by - DracosX on February 6, 2004 9:04:24 PM]
DracosX:Master of the General Protection Fault
Advertisement
Run the program as a service under NT / XP / W2K.

Have it sitting running in the background, keeping it''s own record of the seconds ticking by.

Save the information somewhere the workers can''t access it (eg: They don;t have permissions). Track logins / logouts. This can be used to calculate stats: "The user has been here for 5 hours.."

If the time itself is important eg: "YOU MUST BE HERE AT 9AM SHARP!", then it''s your responsibility as an admin to keep track of the clocks on the PCS.

The file that keeps track of the users loggin in should update itself every say, 5 minutes. When it updates, check the last time and the current time. If the time isn''t around 5 mints, then set the system time to 5 minutes ahead of the last time saved in the file. This requires that they can''t somehow halt the service or otherwise interfere with the timings.
Thanks again.
Well, Sneftel came up with a simple and good idea (by the way what does Sneftel mean?).
Little issue, I''d have to upgrade to 2k or NT (never think of XP) under a pentium II (the most)... sounds like heavy system...

Downgraded came up with the service idea... but that also wouldn''t run under win98...

Could you still try to hide the program under win98?
quote:Original post by dannyxyz23
Downgraded came up with the service idea... but that also wouldn''t run under win98...

Could you still try to hide the program under win98?

You can hide programs from the Windows 98 task list. Do a google for it, failing that - I seem to remember the BO2K source doing something like that when I looked at it a few years back

Why not just use a biometric device and an independant external device that has no network other than the computer logging it? Forget any method that relies on a users computer.
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
To counter Revinor''s idea on leaving the computer on all night, maybe consider using Altiris. It can moniter anyone''s screen in the network and even control the computer. I guess it makes it easy to know after working-hours, who still has their computer on.
punch cards.
job done.
:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement