Bass boosts.

Started by
2 comments, last by SA-Magic 20 years, 2 months ago
Obviously they make a voice sound ''deeper'' (In a different way to a pitch), but what''s the point in them if they amplify a recording too much? I apply one in Cool Edit and it sounds too rough as it goes past the yellow lines (Hey, isn''t it at least *refreshing* for someone not to use the technical terms? ). How (or when) do you use them exactly? Before a dynamic graphic?
Advertisement
Usualy, a better plan is to drop the trebble, rather than boosting the bass. Or even reducing everything except the bass.

I assume you know what "clipping" is, Mr "roughness"?
(and that bass boost does not make any vocals "deeper")
Yeah. Remember that any kind of boost is effectively stretching a piece of data out, which in turn means that the computer has to guess at what needs to fill in the gaps. Better to cut other frequencies as the algorithm doesn''t have to invent information there. The overall effect is pretty much the same.

If a bass boost (or any other equalisation) makes the sound begin to clip, then either you''re boosting it too much or the sound is already at full volume (at least at that frequency).

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
The best way to do a bass boost is to use a 7+ band EQ or parametric EQ, and tweak the bands so that the treble is slightly reduced (as earlier posters said), and the bass is slightly boosted. Often times, the bass sound itself you are using may not be suitable for boosting; some synths and instruments simply clip too much when a boost is applied. However, trial and error with the equalizer and bass sound(s) used should give you the desired results.

Hope that helped.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement