• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] JDK1.5 Beta out

This topic is 5097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Man this has to be the best thing happening to Java, like ever. I''m liking it a lot, especially Static imports and the new High res timer. Discuss

Advertisement
Woohoo
1.5 has some neat new features I love the Autoboxing/unboxing thingy. Yeah way to go Sun!

Check this out for a list of new features.

Wesley

[edited by - wicked_wesley on February 7, 2004 7:13:43 AM]

It looks great to me, it loads faster, ocean is so much better than the metal theme, enums and generic are a great asset but i''m having trouble using the static imports, I''m using
import static javax.swing.JOptionPane.*; 

And it always give 2 errors on that line:

JavaZip.java:11: expected
^
JavaZip.java:11: ''.'' expected
^
2 errors

Sorry I can't help you Your code looks good. Is the ocean theme standard or do you have to set it yourself?

Oh wait, try to remove those '.*' and see what happens Or does
JOptionPane has subclasses?
Wesley

[edited by - wicked_wesley on February 7, 2004 7:16:59 AM]

ocean is the new standard theme of the default look and feel, also it has a new themable look and feel, which i haven
''t use yet, i tried changing the .* to one of JOptionPane constants resulting on the same errors

Better donwload 1.5 quick, I wanna see the Ocean look 'n feel

Have you read the page about static imports? There is alot of info, I don't really understand it though (me=dumb) You have to download a zip file first, but if you want, I can uplaod the file for you

Wesley

Edit
Who cares if you have read it or not? Here it is.

[edited by - wicked_wesley on February 7, 2004 7:34:47 AM]

Did you compiled your code with "-source 1.5" ? This flag has to be used when playing with 1.5 new stuff such as enums, generics,...

Does someone understand what are annotations( or metadata), and how they are meant to be used ?

Quoting "J2SE 1.5 in a Nutshell" :
"With a metadata processing tool, many repetitive coding steps could be reduced to a concise metadata tag."

So what ? A preprocessor for Java ? A new thing a la javadoc ? I am puzzled...

I have no idea what metadate is, maybe it has something to do with the new for-loop? I just downloaded 1.5 and I gotta say, the Ocean look and feel looks sweet! Everyone quickly download it, it rocks! Way better than the previous look ''n feel

Wesley

• Advertisement