Generating evenly distributed random numbers.

Started by
11 comments, last by Dark Star 20 years, 2 months ago
thanks for the replies,

I am doing this for my random numbers

currentPiece = rand()%MAX_PIECES;

I can accept 2 or 3 of the same pieces appearing consecutively but not when I get 4-5 of the same in a row..like it sometimes does. This is what I have never seen in tetris...Infact Ive never ever seen a block appear more than 2 times in a row in Tetris before (It may, but Ive never seen it).

Thanks...maybe this problem is something thats really simple to solve, if I stop being silly and think but Im too stressed with assignments to think clearly right now

DarkStar
UK

-------------------------------
Loves cross-posting because it works
---------------------------------------------You Only Live Once - Don't be afriad to take chances.
Advertisement
This is an interesting problem. The rand() function combined with the modulus operator should not be that much of a problem in your case. Want you should do instead is to decrease the chances of obtaining a particular block next if it has been very common in a specific timespace. Of course, this is not truly random, but it does give much more even and nice result.

Myself I was faced with this problem when I made the card dealing routine for a card game. First I basically just handed out all cards to all players randomly, and made sure they got even numbers each. Since there is a limited number of cards in the deck, it had the unpleasant side effect that if player had gotten very few cards when almost all had been dealt out, that player got all the remaining cards. The loop that handed out the cards went through the cards in order, and it resulted in that a player could end up with a perfect matching string of cards: That is, for example all Sixes to Kings of Hearts. It was not good for the gameplay.

My solution was to remove the total randomness of my card dealing. It was accomplished with the function below:

i8 CSevenGame::GetRandomWithLimit(i8 range, i8 *outcomes, i8 max_seq){	i32 i;	i32 outcome_sum = 0;	i32 random;	i8 chance;	i8 offset = 0;	//calculate the sum of all outcomes	for(i = 0; i < range; i++)		outcome_sum += outcomes[i];	//get a random result	random = rand() % (max_seq * range - outcome_sum); //outcomes left	//loop to see which one of the future possible outcomes was taken	for(i = 0; i < range; i++)	{		//calculate "chance", which is the number of outcomes left in a sequence		chance = max_seq - outcomes[i];		//group this with previous chances and see if this sequence was selected		if((random < offset + chance) && (chance > 0))		{			return i;		}		//increase offset		offset += chance;	}	return -1; //in case of error}

Don't worry if you have trouble understanding it at first, because the variable names are a bit hard to understand since the function is rather generic. Basically "range" is the number of players, "outcomes" the pointer to an array of which each index is a player's number of cards, and "max_seq" being the maximum number of cards a player may have. Essentially the function makes a player that already has a lot of cards get less of a chance to obtain a new one, while a player with few cards has a large chance.

I would imagine you could implement something like this where the maximum number of cards would be translated into the maximum number of Tetris blocks for a specific time period. I hope this helps.

EDIT: Messed up source tags.

[edited by - Unwise owl on February 8, 2004 3:17:11 PM]
Assuming rand() works fine, which it does for me you might want to switch from tinkering with probabilties to fixing the problem at hand:

You don''t want more than 3 equal pieces in a row? So monitor the pieces you create and if the piece appears to often, pick another.

Not satisfying? Wouldn''t satisfy me either :-)
Initial state: 1/n probability for each piece
Later: 1/2*n probability for a repeat. And (if my math didn''t fail me)
             1  ( 1  -  ------- )           2 * n          1           1--------------------- = -----  -  ----------        n - 1             n-1       2n*(n-1) 

for each piece different from the last.
Should a piece be picked more than twice, set its probability to reapear to 0.

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement