MAR Military Application of Robotics

Started by
3 comments, last by nickmerritt 20 years, 2 months ago
It''s not a real thing just an idea. Basicly you code a script in a BASIC like language and then the two bots would fight using the scripts. The idea is based on AI wars a game I played a while ago. Has anyone played it. I want to develop the idea further. Check out the post under the forums at www.musli.tk for a more detailed description(yeah right). Any ideas? Nick Müsli Games www.musli.tk
Nick
Advertisement
None on MAR, but I do remember a raceing game that I played a few years ago, it was free (I think) and very basic. You took a standard car and built sensors on it, you then set the sensors (angle, what to do, etc) and started the race, the object was to have the car travel around the course quickly without crashing or getting lost. There were several courses from basic oval to figure eight (which was a dificult one to setup for) and only basic sensors but it Was a fun game.

Now that I think of it, it was a web-based game (possably java?) I''ll have to do some looking around to see if I can find it.

Erik of Ekedahl

I am a madman running through the halls of computer latency, freeing the dark-suckers from their pedistals of atrophy... man I need some sleep.
I am a madman running through the halls of computer latency, freeing the dark-suckers from their pedistals of atrophy... man I need some sleep.
There was a really fun DOS game like that, where you programmed your own little ''bots'' in a pascal like scripting language. The bots were then pitted in duels or big fights against lots of other bots in a 2d arena. Each little bot might look like a coloured triangle, and for weapons it could either shoot or ram.

But the variation you could get! Your bot could be a camper, sniping until it took damage, then it would relocate. Or you could make a crazy suicide rammer. Or a careful shoot while engaging with ram.

Imagine the possibilites if you increased the number of parameters, ie give options for things like different armour types, weapons =D
I know for sure there are quite many games of this kind with programmable bots. Myself I played RoboWars for quite a while before I got fed up with the lack of teamwork capabilites.
It''s actually pretty easy to write a simple version of this type of game. Years ago, when I was starting out in BASIC, I wrote a game that had two robots that fought each other. You would load in an action script for each one. The scripts were real simple, just stuff like "002,005,102,210", etc. The numbers were placed in a stack and in each turn (several times per second) the current command was executed. I just used a large SELECT CASE structure to implement the commands (which were very simple, like "Turn towards enemy" or "Fire" or "turn away from enemy", etc.). I got some really cool behavior out of it.
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement