Once you know C++ you're all set, right?

Started by
55 comments, last by coorrae 20 years, 2 months ago
No programming language is best, no type is best.

if I''m writing a little script to convert the format of my IM contact list, I''ll use perl for insanely powerful string functions. If I''m making a GUI program that mostly just moves files around, I''ll use VB. If I want to make a 3D App that has to run as fast as possible, I''ll use C++.

Programming itself is a mindset imho. Learn one or 2 languages of each type, and use whatever you want for the task.
Advertisement
raghar: opengl is an API. actually just a specification of it, with some implementations.

php is a programming language for web applications.

you can actually use it for anything else as well. you can even compile it.

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

quote:Original post by Raghar
BTW PHP isn''t a programming language...

There was, sometime ago, a way how to diferentiate between programing languages.
It splited them to:
Web languages (HTML, ASP, JSP, PHP, and so on)
Programming languages (C++, Java, ADA 95)
Graphic languages (OpenGL, CG ?)
Math languages
and so on...

There never has, and there never will be, such a distinction. Whose ass did you pull that out of?
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Obcession with too much graphic and not enough gameplay is what I would like evade.

As I''ve stated in previous posts, many aspects of gameplay often do use a scripting language instead of C++. So, if you get a gig doing that you may not need to know it.

My comments are closer to reality than Imperil''s

I don''t know about that. I do know that there were several problems with your statements though. Let''s go through them:

Why maintain old code when in Java you could have such application in few months...

Large companies with large applications that operate vital tasks on a day to day basis, who are run by people familiar with the ins and outs of the current systems are EXTREMELY unlikely to just re-build their apps from the ground up on a whim. Is this the most efficient solution? Maybe. Maybe not. But it does happen all the time. It is often "cheaper" to hire people to update the program in an outdated language than it is to change over multiple offices to a new system, risk potential fatal errors that could come up in the new system, retrain their entire staff to use the new system, and so on.

With exception of the Java, OpenGL, and so on....

First off, OpenGL is an API. It''s not a language. I also really doubt that there are more books, articles, web tutorials, etc for doing games with Java than there are for C++. And even if that is the case, I doubt their quality is higher given the fact that 99% of professional game makers are using C++. Just out of curiosity, what are the Java equivalents to series like Game Programming Gems?

OpenGL and SDL has interfaces to the Java. Don''t know Havok, or FMod...

Exactly. Java has access to some API''s. So does C#. But for game programming C++ has more. And, they''ve been used and debugged more.

I have seen nice quake 3 level in Java...

That''s a pretty old game. And technology moves fast. Displaying a level from a game that''s several years old does not neccessarily qualify it as being suitable for large scale commercial games today. Again, I do think you can do a decent game with Java. I just don''t think it''s as well suited for larger games currently.

Java combined with ASM is better in both....

How so?

I do application that could have 2^24+ opponents. Is it enough large scale?
The problem is called dongle.

That doesn''t really tell me much. I could write a ray-tracer using an interpreted scripting language. That doesn''t neccessarily make it the best tool for the job. And I don''t know what you mean by "The porblem is called dongle".

You could just seduce Sony to add class loader/converter to native and asynchronous garbage colector to Playstation 3 and you are set.
It''s more important if XBox2 would or wouldn''t have HD. If you''d prove that bytecode JITing chip could make market difference Sony would do a lot to add it in.

Hahahahaha....you''re dead wrong there. You could ask them. They wouldn''t do anything. I was working on an on-line game for the PS2 that was supposed to ship at the launch time of the PS2 Broadband adapter. Even with that, we couldn''t get any information out of them about the plans for the Adapter, let alone a test unit until a few months before it''s launch.

Styles of geting hired
1. Go in and yell "Look at this diploma and give me work." After initial shock you might actually get a work.
2. Go to office lady on a hiring interview, and after they discover that person they''d like will not be avilable, you might get a mail you are hired. Sometimes pretty costly. And you''d end in team that would look "Who come here? Some who know what."
3. Be unemployed few years and somehow get a job. Note that somehow.
4. Know some people, get the job without interview with a office lady, and get straight between programmers that would recognize you.
I think that fourth style is the best, thought current industry fell into overeducation trap.

Getting around as attempting to avoid them.

I''m guessing from your statements here that you''ve never had a job in the game industry. Almost all of the people who are hired have competent skills in both the language and problem domain they are applying for. Many of those people also know one or more people who work at the place they''re applying to. Just knowing someone who works somewhere won''t get you hired if you don''t have the skills to back it up.

There was, sometime ago, a way how to diferentiate between programing languages.
It splited them to:
Web languages (HTML, ASP, JSP, PHP, and so on)
Programming languages (C++, Java, ADA 95)
Graphic languages (OpenGL, CG ?)
Math languages
and so on...

Where are you coming up with this stuff?

-John
- John
Back on topic-ish.

Once you know C++, then you can be reasonably sure that you are all set in that you''ll be able to get your head around most anything else you need/want to learn. C++ is a gigantic mess; most other languages don''t compare in terms of complexity.

Just... don''t let yourself believe that C++ is the One True Tool.

"Without deviation, progress itself is impossible." -- Frank Zappa
"There is only one everything"
To Aris such nice words it looks like you have been born in Norway. I expected no less, but I''d expect that from Brit from (how was name of that city Manchester?). ~_^
Alas I''m from different country and there is no way how I can find that book(s), now, and copy enough to the Internet.
Basicaly I ment you shouldn''t fear to use more languages if your game need so.

To technofreek
About Sony. I''m not from console development, but... Basicaly I agree with you. Sometimes it''s very hard to deal with the "unnamed company ~_%" but I think that giving up too soon would be just a way to admit defeat.
BTW beta specification is often worse than no specification. ^_^

I think I moved this thread in rather not to much reasonable way. And I overdid my bandwidth, so see you next month.
To the Original Poster (coorae): You may be interested in the books available online:

How to Design Programs; a beginners text that describes computation using Scheme (one of the functional languages described).

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs; This is the text used in the freshman year programming course at MIT. It also uses Scheme. You will note that probably no one will object to this book. Its very good. Its online for free.

The most important thing you can do now is read the suggested sites and practice practice practice.

gl hf

Raghar, do you have something to say about Manchester?

[edited by - flangazor on February 17, 2004 11:43:45 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement