Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torque engine

This topic is 5093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just having a look at the demo, seems pretty good to me. Is this the best free SDK out there for that kind of money ? Has anybody got any experience of using it ?

It''s not free, it''s $100.

The value for money is the best I''ve seen. Haven''t tried the actual package myself, but the licensing, community/support is next to none in that price range.

From what I heard - it''s lack of documentation.
But if you want to have a look on to a AAA game engine source, well, USD 100 is a good price.

The documentation situation is much better now. There are several docs on the GG site in addition to various community docs/tutorials/articles. GG is also currently revising the CVS structure to incorporate base code for several tutorials. The base code can be used as a starting point for your own games (FPS base code, racing base code, etc...). Additionally, there are tons of code snippets avaialable that can be added to enhance the engine, a great many models (some free, some not) in Torque''s DTS format, and a lot more. With everything that''s available, $100 for the engine lincense is a steal.

I have used the Torque engine before, its quite good, but its scripting is like somehting out of a mad programmers tomb... its easy to create simple things... i made kinda a battlefield 1942 clone using it, although my vehicles physics were screwed up and not all my weapons worked...but to start with its a good engine...

There are LOADS of code snippets out there to look at and an active community to talk to and get help from, its worth the money... but it can be quite hard to change some aspect or add new things in... but the realtime GUI is a godsend when making levels etc and you can do cool things like recompile scripts in realtime etc...

There was a site i found on the net with tutorials for the torque engine... but apart from the actual torque website it isnt much talked about.....but dont let me put you off i had fun using it..and its already got multiplayer/terrain generation/model loading etc all ready there for you...