• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beta to my first game

This topic is 5185 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I finally got the initiative to work on a game in OpenGL (using Win32 as well)--the ever original pong clone. You can download the .exe here. The source, which I originally didn''t want to release, can be found here. I apologize in advance for the slow speed of the DL if it gets bad, but I''d rather have a slower speed than worry about running out of bandwidth like on geocities. Features: -Time based movement -A fix for the ball skipping through the paddle on slow comps/high speeds (although its not really efficient IMO). -Angle of deflection dependent on the area of paddle-ball collision. Plans: -Plan on adding AI now that the basic collision is done with. -Using some actual form of graphics, most likely textures, instead of just the OpenGL primitives. -Set up a score display system (I need a font system, if someone could tell me which of the NeHe font systems they feel would be the best for this game it would be much appreciated). -A title screen and such. -Maybe sound, but its not at the top of the list. Regrets: -Never found a practical use for dynamic memory in this game... -Should have set up the angle of deflection differently instead of microsegmenting the paddle. I found this to be a fantastic learning experience, I even scrapped my original version of the game, which can be found by searching through the games folder in the urls. I welcome any constructive criticism, but please it was a first game so keep that in mind when it comes to the little things. If anyone has any issues with the game (none of my friends have had any) please just leave the usual information (OS, processor speed, RAM, video card, etc.) and we''ll try to figure it out.

Advertisement
I get some "skipage" sometimes. The ball will jump a little more ahead than it should. That''s the only problem I can see so far. Good job :D

- DarkNebula

Thank you both, now DarkNebula when you say skippage, do you mean its skipping like that the entire time? Because, if that is the case then that is the problem with the time-based movement. Although it keeps the speed constant on any speed of a system, slower systems will suffer more lag.

Not bad for a first game. Here are some ideas:
1) Definitely get around to adding AI =)
2) Change the controls a bit. I prefer keyboard use.
3) Anti-up the graphics. Maybe use 3d blocks?
4) Reduce the angle at which the ball reflects. I had a few games where the ball would almost bounce vertically.
5) Maybe look forward to adding multiplayer?

Overall, if you''re heavy into pong, you could definitely learn a lot when you finish a better version of it. It would be a good way to experiment with AI techniques. If you''re interested, check my pong clone I made specifically for the purpose of AI: Nutty AI. The Pong3D game Atari made was pretty fun too, maybe in the near future you can add obstacles and such as well.

I greatly appreciate the input, I''ve been pressed for time the last couple of days, though. I''m considering nearly all of your suggestions ghost. However, as far as an advanced AI I feel that that is out of the scope of my knowledge as of right now. Multiplayer would be cool, I''ve looked into Winsock previously but have problems testing out applications to see if I''m doing things right. I''m sure I can find a way around it. Well time to get back to work and stop the procrastination.

• Advertisement