• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

demonrealms

Game Programming.....

This topic is 5250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey does anyone know what a very good book would be to learn how to program games with VC++ and DirectX(at least ver 8.1 perferably 9.0)? I''ve got $50 to spend. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Advertisement
Ok, I''ve looked at the books and I was considering getting: Game Coding Complete, but it says it''s not a begginer book at all. I know some C++, not nrealy mastered of course but I know how to set up windows and use some GDI, will this book be to hard for me?

Another one, I saw Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization. Is that any good? And is it outdated? If not, which should I get? Game coding complete or Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization? Thanks

You should try Tricks of the windows game programming gurus 2 edition . This is an excellent book for starting game programming, because it shows you every part of developing a game, even if you know some GDI or Win32 programming already.

quote:
Original post by demonrealms
Another one, I saw Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization. Is that any good? And is it outdated? If not, which should I get? Game coding complete or Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization?

I''ve heard bad things about Game Coding Complete, and I have a feeling you don''t really want to write your own rasterizer, so I doubt that either of those books would be a good choice for you.

@Demonrealms

Yes, game Coding Complete is not a beginner book. When you say you want to learn VC++ and DirectX, how proficient are you in C++? If you're shakey, give a pure C++ programming book a go first then take it from there.

[edited by - mathematix on February 8, 2004 2:18:40 PM]

I know a good deal about C++ and some C#. I can program in Win32 pretty well too. I know a little DirectX, mainly off of what I''ve learned in Trickos of the Windows Game programming Gerus 2nd edition. But I''m, still in Chapter 7. And by the way, I''vge never really come to the full meaning of what rasterizer is. What''s that? I hoipe that desn''t make me sound completly stupid but it''s just one of those things that you just glance over and read about how to program it type deals.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!