Started by
26 comments, last by isiahil 20 years ago
I am trying to connect a router and it says to go to this web page: 192.168.1.1, but it says there is no such web page when i go there. am i doing it wrong? please help I don''t have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don''t know, but my dad says it alot
I don't have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don't know, but my dad says it alot
Advertisement
That ip is internal...Either its your router, another computer or just nonexistant. The ip 192.168.x.x can never be mapped to anything outside your lan.

EDIT: Whoops, it looks like you're trying to hook up a router as you've said. I got it mixed up with the network programming question you had earlier

192.168.1.1 must point to your router if the manual says so. If it doesn't work then your router is not hooked up correctly..Check your connections once again.

[edited by - nervo on February 7, 2004 10:56:11 PM]
Well, R2D22U2..
The address is outside of your PC''s subnet, so it sends the packet to the gateway. The problem is likely that your gateway doesn''t know where to route that address.

Here''s one solution:

1) set the IP address of your PC to 192.168.1.2
2) set the subnet mask of your PC to 255.255.255.0
3) apply the changes
4) from the command line, "ping 192.168.1.1"

This should give you responses. Once that works, type in http://192.168.1.1/ in your web browser.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
1)
try, "http://192.168.1.1"

1.b)
make sure that in your network TCP/IP settings you are set up do use DHCP to obtain a network address.

2)
open a command prompt (start->programs->accessories->command prompt.
type "ipconfig" make sure that your ip address is 192.168.1.x where x is any number.
if it's not, then you aren't correctly plugged in to the router. check your ethernet cables and make sure there is one going from the router to your pc.
make sure that there is a green light where the ethernet cable plugs into your computer. if there isn't, try plugging the cable into a different port on the back of the router (sometimes one port is reserved as an uplink port).

3) if it's all plugged in correctly and there's a green light, try rebooting your computer. also check out your hardware device manager (right click on my computer and find the "Device Manager" somewhere in that menu, open up the network adapters sub-menu and make sure that your ethernet card doesn't have a red X through it. if it does, right-click it and select "enable". then check to see if a green light shows up on your computer. if not, reboot.

4) if none of that works, call tech support for the router manufacturer.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on February 7, 2004 10:59:17 PM]
i don''t know which version of windows you have but this will work with anyone, open a command prompt write either winipcfg or ipconfig /all look for the ip of the default gateway it must be the routers ip
humanity will always be slaved by its ignorance
The instructions for the router say to connet a ethernet cable from the dsl modem to the router and then one from my other computer to the router. Its says my router should have a port that says LAN,mine has one that says 10/100 Base-T. It is the only Ethernet port.
The router''s led lights up for the internet and for the port that the other computer is in on, but when i run the software it says it cannot find a connection through the router.

I don''t have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don''t know, but my dad says it alot
I don't have to do nothing but live and die, everything else i choose to do- I don't know, but my dad says it alot
My netgear router runs at 192.168.0.1(default, out of the box)

[edited by - WilyCoder on February 7, 2004 11:28:29 PM]
when i do command prompt and type in ipconfig, it says my ip is
try "ipconfig /all" and look for the default gateway, thats your router ip
humanity will always be slaved by its ignorance
i made the ap post
how do i change my ip address

[edited by - isiahil on February 7, 2004 11:44:49 PM]

[edited by - isiahil on February 7, 2004 11:45:24 PM]

[edited by - isiahil on February 7, 2004 11:47:29 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement