• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KulSeran

Random Benchmark question

This topic is 5420 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Radeon 7000 Athlon XP 1.4GHz ~32000 triangles, rendered with glDrawArrays gets ~10 fps is this normal? good? bad?

Advertisement
Sounds about right I suppose, just from experience with what I''ve been working on. I have an athlon 1.2, nvidia geforce2 and at around 32k triangles, unfortunately not rendered with glDrawArrays I get 12-13 FPS in 640x480ish mode.

Hi.
In which way are you rendering triangles? Lighting Enabled? Texturing? Blend? Are they all front facing or some are culled? What is the screen pixels coverage? Does the primitive mode involve single triangles or triangle strips?
All this features influence A LOT the frame rate.

Marco.

[edited by - CoreMeltdown on February 8, 2004 7:01:25 AM]

I think the Radeon 7000 should be similar in performance to my gf2mx, so 320k tris/second seems very low.

My engine currently renders 800k - 1 Million multitextured(2 textures), blended (3 passes) triangles. I use trilinear and anisotropic filtering on all 6 textures, no lighting at the moment. I guess the real number of rendered tris / second is much higher, as my benchmarking thing doesnt take the overhead of calling the timing and tri-counting thing a few hundred times a second into account (test scene is just ~3200 tris). I don''t have the time to get more accurate numbers atm, but you should be able to get a lot more than 320k tris/frame.

Ok, just to make sure i''m clear on this, some of
you are able to display 800k-1M triangles all onscreen
at once? or are you talking 800k per scene, and you
are displaying a clipped section of this number onto
the screen?

if you are displaying 800k a frame what technique are you
useing to render them?

Sorry for the late reply, but I had a few things to get done, before touching my code again.

Just forget the triangle counts I posted, I am fillrate limited anyways and could get tris/second lots higher.

Then, I was pretty wrong when I assumed your Radeon is similar in performance to my gf2mx. Honestly, if you want to do any "serious" 3d programming, try to get a new card.

Your card does not have hardware T&L, which means all your vertex translation, rotation etc will have to be done on the CPU, then your card has just one pixel-pipeline which can theoretically handle ~200 MPixels per second, which will make your programs fillrate limited aswell, unless you plan on only doing 2D like things, without much overdraw.

But now, after having checked how good your card really is, I think 320k triangles per second is not that bad.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!