Diffrent layers of fog? (Done)

Started by
16 comments, last by skow 20 years, 2 months ago
There is a demo on height fog on nVidia''s dev pages. It uses texture lookup to create volume fog effect and sloves the problem of "looking out of fog".

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Advertisement
YOU WANT THIS EFFECT RIGHT(FROM QUAKE III)?

51 FPS because im on a crappy PC atm.

[edited by - DerAngeD on February 8, 2004 3:11:43 PM]
2 Pics from quake3 showing in and out of the layered fog:

Darkwing could you look up the link for me? Anything I find on the nvidia site involving layered fog is using shaders.

[edited by - skow on February 8, 2004 3:25:47 PM]
quote:Original post by _DarkWIng_
There is a demo on height fog on nVidia''s dev pages. It uses texture lookup to create volume fog effect and sloves the problem of "looking out of fog".

that demo uses D3D

quote:Original post by DerAnged
that demo uses D3D

So what? If you can do it D3D you can do it in OpenGL.

quote:Original post by skow
Darkwing could you look up the link for me? Anything I find on the nvidia site involving layered fog is using shaders.

here it is : link

[edited by - _DarkWIng_ on February 8, 2004 4:10:15 PM]
Or what about volumetric fog (see www.gametutorials.com) and then drawing a blended polygon at every opening (won''t be that many) to simulate fog when looking out the volume. This seems reasonable and should look good.
quote:Original post by skow
Yeah, I need to do this with out shaders.

Here is a picture of the problem with fog_coords, looking out from in the fog.

well, it''s pretty simple.

the way quake3 does it is that every vertex that is inside or behind the fog volume get colored by the fog acording to the distance the eye to vertex ray passes trough the fog volume.
this solves the looking out from the fog problem.

I tried to implement this in the quake engine once, it worked somewhat, but due to my extreamly low understanding of openGL at that time it still looked like crap.

I hope you will do better.

---------------------------------
For an overdose of l33tness, flashbang.nu
quote:Original post by Tree Penguin
Or what about volumetric fog (see www.gametutorials.com) and then drawing a blended polygon at every opening (won''t be that many) to simulate fog when looking out the volume. This seems reasonable and should look good.

I already thought of this, but it wont have a smooth fade into fog.

Overlord that''s what I''ve decided to do, using the fog_coord extention to color it. I just need to work out a fast method of doing it (there are a TON of verticies in my demo).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement