• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fast vertex-array font

This topic is 5094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on implementing a fast vertex-array based font, as suggested here <link>http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=99129. My question is, Nehe's tutorial #13 uses the glRasterPos and glBitmap functions. Would converting to vertex arrays mean I would be drawing quads in 3D space and texturing them with letters instead of drawing pixels directly onto the framebuffer like in glBitmap? I really would like one pixel in my font bitmap to correspond to one pixel on the screen - it seems like so much less processing that way. Can I use Ortho mode to somehow achieve that? Also, the glBitmap function neatly avoids the problem of alpha blending so that there aren't black boxes around each letter. Is there a good (fast) way to get the same result with vertex arrays of quads? Anyway, I'm just trying to get some text on the screen that doesn't drop my framerate in a huge way like tutorial #13,15, and 17 text does. Any advice would be appreciated! Edit: Ok, if anyone is interested, tutorial #17 actually does what I am trying to do. He starts by setting up an ortho screen so that he can work directly with pixels. Then he draws 2D quads to the screen, each with a letter on them. Very slick! [edited by - aargyle on February 8, 2004 2:31:40 PM] [edited by - aargyle on February 8, 2004 2:32:36 PM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement