• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aargyle

Fast vertex-array font

This topic is 5276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on implementing a fast vertex-array based font, as suggested here <link>http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=99129. My question is, Nehe's tutorial #13 uses the glRasterPos and glBitmap functions. Would converting to vertex arrays mean I would be drawing quads in 3D space and texturing them with letters instead of drawing pixels directly onto the framebuffer like in glBitmap? I really would like one pixel in my font bitmap to correspond to one pixel on the screen - it seems like so much less processing that way. Can I use Ortho mode to somehow achieve that? Also, the glBitmap function neatly avoids the problem of alpha blending so that there aren't black boxes around each letter. Is there a good (fast) way to get the same result with vertex arrays of quads? Anyway, I'm just trying to get some text on the screen that doesn't drop my framerate in a huge way like tutorial #13,15, and 17 text does. Any advice would be appreciated! Edit: Ok, if anyone is interested, tutorial #17 actually does what I am trying to do. He starts by setting up an ortho screen so that he can work directly with pixels. Then he draws 2D quads to the screen, each with a letter on them. Very slick! [edited by - aargyle on February 8, 2004 2:31:40 PM] [edited by - aargyle on February 8, 2004 2:32:36 PM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!