object-orientation question

Started by
5 comments, last by jimywang 20 years, 2 months ago
here is my problem. in my program,there are 4 class:winmain,player,raycaster,lookuptable. either player or raycaster will contain a lookuptable in them in order to access information stored in lookuptable,so what i did is //class player #include lookuptable //class raycaster #include lookuptable and in winmain head file of both player n raycaster will be included.but when i try 2 compile it.it gives me a error saying type lookuptable redefinition.i image the reason for that is both player and raycaster has lookuptable in it,as a result in winmain,compiler will try to declare lookuptable twice. can anyone tell me a solution 2 that plz?thx.
Advertisement
See this article for information on include guards.
put this at the start of the lookuptable header:

#ifndef __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER
#define __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER

and this at the end:

#endif // __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER

when the file is first encountered, it will see that __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER hasn''t been defined, so it will include everything between the #ifndef and #endif. However, if the header is opened again, it will see that __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER has already been defined (by the first include), and therefor it will skip the code as it is already available.
or, if you are using VC++ you can put in the compiler command:

#pragma once

somewhere in each header
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
quote:Original post by Symphonic
or, if you are using VC++ you can put in the compiler command:

#pragma once

somewhere in each header

#pragma once is also implemented in GCC 3.4.0.
put

#ifndef SOMEHEADERDEFINITION
#define SOMEHEADERDEFINITION

#endif

for every header file you have. not just lookup table.
quote:Original post by MENTAL
#ifndef __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER
#define __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER

You might want to stay away from defines or identifiers starting with double underscores, those are used by the compiler for internal names (as are names starting with a single underscore and a capital letter). Chances are no compiler uses __LOOK_UP_TABLE_HEADER, but if you use heaps of these you might at some point run into some weird, hard to find bugs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement