• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joeyzt

Is there anybody planning on doing the whole game themselves ?

This topic is 5396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Like the engine, models, Levels, sound etc .. It would just be too much right for a fairly serious game ? ''A library consists of the actual binary code behind the API. You link your game code to the library to make everything work.''

Advertisement
A single person can certainly still make a fun game on his own: http://www.soldat.prv.pl/

Though a large 3D game with its own engine, complex levels and models, etc may be a little out of reach. But then again there are always some superstars that can handle it, just takes a ton of dedication.

i''m doing it. It''s not like i''m writing the graphics libraries from scratch or anything. Estimated project time for me is 2.5 years. Is that too bad for a hobby?

http://www.project-axis.net/

I think it is a bit hard to make a game at the same kind of standard that the pro''s do, all on your own... Its hard to be really good at programming, while also being good at making textures, models, sound, music. It helps if you have a few buddies that can help you out in the art department .

But i figure if you program the game by yourself using some temporary textures and models. If its good, you can then show it to people and i don''t think it would be that hard to find someone willing to make some good textures, models, sound for it.

I figure on being capable of doing all the coding (for a 3d racing game) using no libs but DirectX (and D3DX). Certainly graphics and fairly good physics/collision engine + sound, AI, input and hopefully networking later on. Plus a custom level editor. The things I can''t do are artwork, modelling and sound engineering. The thing I don''t want to do is actually making the levels! So I''m planning to write code to help me generate levels to be tweaked, and also to minimise the amount of manual work required to get music and artwork. Plus I''ll find amateur artists/modellers keen to show their work to the world in my game!

Well, even teams of professionals don''t usually write their own (graphic) engine anymore, it''s simply too much work. So for an indepedent, it is probably advisable to use a pre-built engine. Check out game tunnel, they review lots of independent games, many of which of very good, and many of which are written by an individual. That will give you an idea of what individuals can do.

Good luck,

James Sayer
Dingo Games
www.dingogames.com
Home of Jack of All Trades

When your just starting out, you SHOULD do everythign yourself, that way you at least have experience with everything (unless its just a hobbie) i have a fairly complex sprite engine that ive nearly completed, save for an animation problem, once thats done ill be probably a day''s work away from a fully functional sprite engine, from there my less experienced friend and i are going to program a game on top of that (yeah i know no one cares )

While we are on the subject, does anybody know a good place to pimp your game once its done? Just so that people try it out and give some feedback. Seems like a bit of a waste of time if you spend ages programming a game and then nobody ends up playing it.

When I programmed Gauntlet and made a level editor for it, it made me feel like I could do a whole game.

But MAN nowadays making a game yourself takes a LOT of work.

My latest idea, which I have yet to implement, involves emplacements and vehicles with various physical arrangements, but they will all have a common set of functions like MoveTo() and BringWeaponToBear(). I don''t know if I should use polymorphism or switch statements for the vehicle type behaviors. Then there are the models themselves, and the sounds, and the rocket flames out the bottom and back - ooh forget it! For now...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Me. Started 2002 and going on. had just half year pause :\

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!