Is there anybody planning on doing the whole game themselves ?

Started by
21 comments, last by joeyzt 20 years, 2 months ago
I just finished writing my own game from beginning to end. Its in demo/beta release, and I have a few changes to make after some of the feedback I got from these
forums
(sorry about the shameless plug!). I got a lot of good feedback from the forums here. I wrote all the code, graphics, and music myself. The sound effects I purchased, but had to modify them myself to my liking anyway.

I think it is a wonderful idea to do everything yourself the first time. I learned a ton of stuff not only about game development but just project development in general. I wouldn't change that experience for anything. It is a great feeling of accomplishment, even if it takes you over 2 years to complete!

[edited by - roger_hq on February 9, 2004 11:54:42 AM]
_____________________________http://www.deepbluefuture.com"Set Phasers to neuter...""2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2."
Advertisement
It''s just a question of time. That''s why I work with a team. I think I could do anything myself even graphics or sound but since I also want spearhead things in most components thus it''s too big for one man.

It''s possible and valuable to do anything from scratch. If "pro" teams don''t do it it''s cause they don''t have the time necessary and they don''t have a full freedom concerning the game design (publisher presssure). But for an indy team it''s possible by restricting the game requirements and focus on a few but accurate spearhead technologies.
"Coding math tricks in asm is more fun than Java"
I have been doing everything myself for Golem (see sig), and I tell you it is seriously time consuming. But, it can be done, and since an independent doesn''t have the marketing deadline of next Christmas season to meet, time really isn''t a big issue. Just don''t aim too high; there''s a reason the credits list of most large games feature long lists of personnel. If you are solo, don''t take on to much.

If you are an independent just starting out, it might be simpler to go it solo for a game or two. Partnerships bring complications that can kill a project if you are not prepared for them.

Golem

Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement