• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ConanBourke

ID3DXInclude and Device::ProcessVertices() questions

This topic is 5391 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok first questions is has anyone used the ID3DXInclude object before to specify the #include file for shaders created from memory? I know the API says a programmer has to implement it but how would I go about doing that? And second, being more of an idea than a question, would it be an ok idea to pass a model''s verts into ProcessVertices() to apply matrix palette skinning or tweening to it, and then pass the results into general vertex shader used for non-animation purposses? Would that be faster than doing the animation in the cpu? Thanks in advance, Conan.

Advertisement
I'm not sure about the first question, but as far as your second question goes, you should be aware that ProcessVertices is done in software, not hardware. This function does not use the GPU at all.

Here is a quote from the DX9 docs:
"Microsoft® Direct3D® for Microsoft DirectX® 9.0 supports standalone processing of vertices, without rendering any primitive with the IDirect3DDevice9:: ProcessVertices method. This standalone vertex processing is always performed in software on the host processor."

This quote is taken from:
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/programmingguide/gettingstarted/direct3dresources/vertexbuffers/vertexprocessingrequirements.asp

neneboricua

[edited by - neneboricua19 on February 8, 2004 6:36:51 PM]

quote:
Original post by neneboricua19
I''m not sure about the first question, but as far as your second question goes, you should be aware that ProcessVertices is done in software, not hardware. This function does not use the GPU at all.

Ok so it would end up the same as if I just processed them all myself?

Conan.

Guest Anonymous Poster
We use the include facility in Nebula2. This allows files to be included from "wad" style packs of files.

You can see the source here:
http://nebuladevice.sourceforge.net/doc2/doxydoc/nebula2/html/nd3d9shader__main_8cc-source.html

Cheers,
Leaf.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!