• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3Dgangsta

Little help getting started

This topic is 5361 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am sure you have heard this countless times but I have been useing C++ on the console level now for a while as well as programming with other languages for about 2 years. I am very familar with code stucture ect...But my main goal for learning C++ was for an FPS with DX. Now I have just begun learning DirectX9 and I think the best way to learn things are to do them. Kind of like math, you learn how to do the problems then you try doing them on your own. Anyways is there a good tutorial on how to make a very simple game utilizing DirectX? I know you will probably say pong,tetris or pac-man but thats the problem I dont know were to start! I really need a simple game that I can further enhance as I get better with Game Programming. Thank you for your time! -Rob

Advertisement
<< Anyways is there a good tutorial on how to make a very simple game utilizing DirectX? I know you will probably say pong,tetris or pac-man but thats the problem I dont know were to start! >>

Here''s how you start.

Learn how to go full screen (a blank screen). Then learn how to plot 1 point. Then learn how to plot a line. Then put a bitmap graphic on the screen. Then bitmap with animation. You do it a step at a time.

LaMothe basically teaches like this (Tricks book) but adds a lot more technical details and his DX "wrapper" functions which you don''t really need.

For Pong, all you need is how to go full screen, create a back buffer, put two paddles on the screen, put a ball on the screen, read the mouse or keyboard to move a paddle, then move the damn ball, put a little computer A.I. for your opponent and you have game. Its much easier in Win GDI, a little more setup required if you wanna use DirectDraw.

I am learning DirectDraw myself. Best short tutorial I found on GameDev is here (uses DirectDraw 1.0 which is just fine)

DirectDraw Tutorial

DirectDraw 6.1 PDF

You can always get the latest from Microsoft, but I''m using 6.1 since it came with LaMothe''s Tricks book (volume 1, 1st edition 1999).

VazGames.com

Phil P

<< Will those tuts work with DX9? >>

Yeah DirectDraw still works in DX9. I was told the DirectDraw documentation is taken out of DX9 docs. But the above PDF for DirectDraw in DX 6.1 will be fine. As I said, Pong can be done with Win GDI as well which requires less set up.

Phil P

Yes, learn with DDraw - thats what I''m doing now. I personally could never fully grasp d3d but now that I''m familiar with ddraw, I feel I understand some of the stuff in d3d a little better. My only gripe is the lack of serious documentation, however msdn has been a great big help to me.

Enjoy.

First off, directX has nothing to do with writing your game!
yes, your game may USE dx api, but, they are really two different things.

if you dont know where to start, get out the pen and paper and plan it out. next go to the computer and start writing your engines, such as the graphics engine. this is essentially just an encapsualation of many dirextX features.

after you have an easy to access and use interface that suits you, make your game.

you can start in the direct x SDK, there are tons of tutorials and examples that can get you rolling. dont be afraid to cut and paste!

With todays modern 3D cards it is actually faster to use Direct3D in "2D mode" - orthographic camera using textured quads instead of bitmapped sprites in DirectDraw, DirectDraw does allow hardware acceleration but you are taking full advantage of your hardware by using a 3D API to do 2D

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!