Basic RPG stats usage

Started by
31 comments, last by chaim79 20 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
That reminds final fantasy tactics had an intersting system for armor. Bascially armor had two stats defence and HP as well as possibly some other bonuses. Defense decresed the damage you took, and HP increased your characters HP, in other the characters HP was not just how much damage the character could absorb but also how much their armor could absorb.

so a character with 50HP puts on a suit of platemail(Def 50,HP 250). The characters final HP would be 300. Also you could destroy armor so destroying the plate mail would reducde the characters HP to 50.

Actually, the armors gave HP and Evade. Those precentages were an ability to dodge, that all multiplied together. I don''t remember any examples, except the Escuctheon with 70% evade. But yeah, the HP/Evade angle was an interesting one.

Personally, I liked how the stats weren''t neccessarily related specifically to characteristics. Like, PA and MA were just supposed to be effective sums, and didn''t represent any specific single thing about the character, except that PA was one of the multipliers that constructed damage (the others being the weapon attack value, and the Bravery value).
william bubel
Advertisement
quote:
quote:mention the above to my girlfriend and that would be my
head->attachment_to_torso = false.

She dislikes her face and torso? Strange.

I think he meant, she would rip his head off...

And praytell, why do you think RPG systems are akin to writing compilers ?
I am rather fond of far stretched analogies, but I fail to get that one.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Your Female character trying to pursuade the male guard to let you pass. Thats head beauty + torso beauty + speaking skill.SPAN>

Nah, beauty + female = guard is desperate?

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

beauty + female = guard is desperate?

Actually that would be breathing+female = guard is desperate.

quote:Original post by inmate2993

Actually, the armors gave HP and Evade. Those precentages were an ability to dodge, that all multiplied together. I don't remember any examples, except the Escuctheon with 70% evade. But yeah, the HP/Evade angle was an interesting one.

Personally, I liked how the stats weren't neccessarily related specifically to characteristics. Like, PA and MA were just supposed to be effective sums, and didn't represent any specific single thing about the character, except that PA was one of the multipliers that constructed damage (the others being the weapon attack value, and the Bravery value).

The Evade stat is one I can recognize and work with, but what is PA and MA? What is their full name? And if they aren't really related to characteristics what are they related to/a mesurement of?

Erik of Ekedahl

I am a madman running through the halls of computer latency, freeing the dark-suckers from their pedistals of atrophy... man I need some sleep.

[edited by - chaim79 on February 13, 2004 2:39:15 AM]
I am a madman running through the halls of computer latency, freeing the dark-suckers from their pedistals of atrophy... man I need some sleep.
PA and MA were just Physical Attribute and Magical Attribute. The game described them as total effective sums. Meaning, it wasn''t like STENGTH OF LEFT HAND, STRENGTH OF RIGHT FOOT, just, PA. Considering the game was an all-combat rpg, it worked realy well.
william bubel
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Your Female character trying to pursuade the male guard to let you pass. Thats head beauty + torso beauty + speaking skill.SPAN>

Nah, beauty + female = guard is desperate?

beauty + female + !(clothing) = guard let pass
or
beauty + female - clothing = guard let pass
>> (I cannot EVER stand the magic system in DnD, for instance. I have, ever sicne this game existed, and to this very day, thought it was uber crap. Which is unfortunate as some of the spells I find really nice :-7 )

We''ve used a type of Spell Points system since before Advanced DandD was released. Now you can cast any spell that you have spell points for and have learned at least once somewhere. There are some other rules like schools/domains and such but this isn''t the place for that discussion.
I''m not too fond of the traditional MP concept. It seems to be an entirely front-loaded strategy, where you have to make the strongest magic attack availiable otherwise you run the risk of the enemy surviving, and using their turn. Plus, its more often then not a non-replenishable supply, making the dynamics mostly item based. I think thats something that should be rethought.
william bubel
quote:Original post by Inmate2993
I''m not too fond of the traditional MP concept.

Unfortunetly it''s been around so long that most gamers simply take it for granted.

I am rather curious though as to what you would use in replacement? Would you do like the Balders Gate game and make it where you can only use so-many spells in a day? (and having to preselect them) Or would you use some other method of making the spells ''cost'' something (to keep people from just casting spells in all battles)

Erik of Ekedahl

MP isn''t exactly a bad idea, just it doesn''t work very well left alone. As a metered resource, yes, it works just about perfectly. 3 cure spells cost the same as a fire spell. The problem is the means of recovery is usually overlooked. In my experience, you can recover MP only two ways.
1) An item thats typically both expensive and rare.
2) Spend a night at an Inn.
Maybe if you frequently hit inns, this scheme works, but what about a game thats designed without Inns? Or, designed that inns aren''t conviently located everywhere.

If you look at a Zelda game, more often then not, killing an enemy rewards you with a little green bottle that recovers some MP. Great! Problem solved. Just make enemies that reward the player with magic. And it doesn''t have to be one of the standard items, it can be dished out the same way EXP is.

As for alternatives, theres always a recovering meter based on a stat. That is to say, each round of combat (or unit of time), the meter is filled according to the stat. As the stat gets larger, less expensive spells can be used more frequently and it doesn''t take as long to access higher order spells.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement