Projective Shadow Problems....

Started by
8 comments, last by Prozak 20 years, 2 months ago
Ok, so i''m trying to get projective shadows working, but it seems I allways have some problems with it. My axis are set like: X grows to your right, Y grows to the sky, Z grows away from you. My current problem is that the shadow seems to follow the light, as you can see in these screenshots: You can see that the shadow (or simply the projected crate) is following the light instead of projecting away... My Plane settings are X=0, Y=1, Z=0, W=1 If more info is required i''ll promptly post it... Im so lost...! Jester Says: Visit Positronic Dreams![Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It''s the only way to be sure."
Advertisement
anyone?
speaking personaly i cant really see whats going on from that animation, stills might be better...
Ok, heres another pic:

I painted the shadow black, cause the engine doesnt do that for itself yet.

As you can see, the shadow grows towards the light, instead of geting projected in the opposite direction...

Jester Says: Visit Positronic Dreams![Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD]
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It''s the only way to be sure."
just invert your values.
indeed, it would appear you''ve got something backwards somewhere
I''ve tried inverting some values, that doesnt seem to work, i guess because inverting something on one point, ruins everything else...

this is trully mind-bogling for me....

Jester Says: Visit Positronic Dreams![Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD]
Well, i dont know exatcly what fixed it, but got it fixed, thanks mates

I''m just wondering, are you just drawing the same image, just flattened onto a specific plane (but in the last case, drawn without color/texture). I guess I don''t know exactly what ''projective shadow'' means, because stencil shadow volumes are projected outwards too
Why don't alcoholics make good calculus teachers?Because they don't know their limits!Oh come on, Newton wasn't THAT smart...
shadow: I think i messed up the push/pop matrix calls in my first atempts, and that messed up the final position/ orientation of the shadow.

This shadow is the projection of the object onto a plane, the images show the object projected.

Usually a few more steps are involved, in which the shadow is drawn black and blended with the floor, and stenciled with the stencil buffer, the stencil itself being the floor again...

This method of shadowing therefore isnt shadow volumes...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement