• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KulSeran

glMultMatrix() question

This topic is 5366 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is this opengl function done in hardware? or software? is it faster or slower to do the calculations to my vertex arrays in my own code, and then render 1 or 2 glDrawArrays()? or to call glMultMatrix for every transform, and pass in 100+ glDrawArrays()?

Advertisement
i think youre missing the point there. multmatrix will multiply the modelview with whatever you pass it. it is NOT doing anything with any vertices. the vertices will be transformed by the final matrix when you render them anyway, so you wouldnt save anything by transforming the vertices yourself, youd simply not let the card do whats its there for and instead waste a lot of cpu cycles.

if you have just a very small vertex array and would need a lot of extra work, then it might be worth thinking about it. if all objects are permanently moving independently and youd have to build a new array every frame i dont think it would be worth it, but the easiest way to find out: just try it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!