• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oluseyi

GameDev.net Wiki

This topic is 5549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If it''s made as another section in additon to the forums and articles section, or perhaps even integrating the articles, I think it could achieve the number of people needed to maintain it. The thing about wikis is that you need enough sensible people around to counter anything stupid that people do, perhaps coupled with the forum registration system. I think it''d be successful, most problems can be rectified if you have the normal page history to restore from and the ability to properly bar troublemakers.

It all really depends on if it can attain critical mass in terms of popularity, and that would require the site concentrating on it quite specifically, not just some super FAQ.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
One thing that I''d like to see with the Wiki is for it to actually replace the forums, for the most part.

It might be a better fit for some of the fora, but I can see it having problems with sections like Nehe''s tutorials. I''ll admit I''m not experienced with Wiki sites, but those I have seen seem more geared towards one-way article posts rather than the forum-style give-and-take needed for a virtual classroom environment. I''m willing to sit corrected if someone proves me wrong though.

quote:

A top-level contents would be the initial presentation, with prominent links to "About this site..." and "FAQs" (mostly operational), along with a search entry form. Search will generally turn up a useful result, and in the case that it doesn''t the visitor will be prompted to add a question (with an option to be notified of its answer via email).

Any chance of a screenshot or two of this new layout? It would avoid unnecessary debate. In the meantime, I''ll give you all the benefit of the doubt.

I am curious as to how the existing forums would be translated into Wiki format. Presumably the old forum database will be placed into an archive and the Wiki would be starting from scratch. Or is there software in place to help populate the new Wiki database?

(I agree with you on the Lounge though. Don''t kill it! It''s part of the character of the site and it does at least break the stereotype that developers are geeks who are utterly obsessed with games, code and maths. And nothing else.)

quote:

In addition, each page of the Wiki would have links to "Related Content" and "Viewers who read this page also read..." sections.

Comments?

That could be very useful.

One other thought occurs: IT is a nascent field which moves rapidly. I can see articles describing ''ideal'' hardware and software specs for development computers getting out of date fast.

I would suggest a facility to flag a posting as "obsolete". Either that, or give each posting a default ''Check-By'' date so that someone is told to give it a once-over every now and then. (Expiry of this date could trigger an email to the original poster in the first instance. If nothing happens, or the email bounces, then an admin or moderator could be informed instead.)

Regards,

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley

I seriously doubt that a Wiki could replace the forums. It may be used to accomplish much the same, but there are some things which don''t work in a forum. The lounge has already been mentioned. A huge percentage of the posts (especially in Your Announcements) are one time-only posts.

The official zorx website

quote:
Original post by stimarco
It might be a better fit for some of the fora, but I can see it having problems with sections like Nehe''s tutorials.
quote:
Original post by clum
I seriously doubt that a Wiki could replace the forums.
I believe I said "largely replace."

It doesn''t work for the Lounge. It doesn''t work for Your Announcements. It doesn''t work for Help Wanted. NeHe... I''m not so sure. I don''t visit that site very often, but from what I''ve seen of its forums it''s not that much different from General Programming or OpenGL. Most of the explanation that goes on there is repetitive; open-ended discussion could still be carried out that way, though.

I''m not in a position to make decisions on this, in any case. I''m merely speculating about what I''d like to see.

quote:
Any chance of a screenshot or two of this new layout? It would avoid unnecessary debate. In the meantime, I''ll give you all the benefit of the doubt.
I''ll try to whip up a mock-up in a bit. Just got a new wireless router, so configuring... Plus my roommate got laid off.

quote:
I am curious as to how the existing forums would be translated into Wiki format. Presumably the old forum database will be placed into an archive and the Wiki would be starting from scratch. Or is there software in place to help populate the new Wiki database?
There''s currently nothing in place. It would have to be a dedicated project in which a set of individuals combed through GDNet''s forum archives, extracting and enhancing explanations, definitions and so forth. If there were consensus around this idea today, I don''t see the Wiki going live for another several months.

quote:
(I agree with you on the Lounge though. Don''t kill it! It''s part of the character of the site and it does at least break the stereotype that developers are geeks who are utterly obsessed with games, code and maths. And nothing else.)
I agree. And with people being able to find the material they need more quickly thanks to a Wiki, they may actually stop by the Lounge more often - raising the level of debate in the process.

quote:
One other thought occurs: IT is a nascent field which moves rapidly. I can see articles describing ''ideal'' hardware and software specs for development computers getting out of date fast.

I would suggest a facility to flag a posting as "obsolete". Either that, or give each posting a default ''Check-By'' date so that someone is told to give it a once-over every now and then. (Expiry of this date could trigger an email to the original poster in the first instance. If nothing happens, or the email bounces, then an admin or moderator could be informed instead.)
Good ideas. I think that certain subjects do not make for good articles: "What''s the latest/greatest <piece of hardware X/Y/Z>?" These are conversational rather than definitive subjects, so there''s no point trying to establish canonical answers for/to them.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

i think this is an incredibly great idea. as you said, there is a huge amount of information that has been amassed over the years in the forums, but it is so dispersed that it becomes very hard to track it all down.

for doubters, check out the wikipedia. its great. combining the incremental, iterative nature of forums with an encyclopedia like format is very powerful, to the point that i think that a GDNet wiki could rival most graphics books in a year or two.

think about it...many very knowledgeable contributers to the forums never write an article because of the amount of work it takes to write and edit the entire thing...especially with this nitpicky crowd. instead, these same knowledgeable people that come on here and post every once in a while look through and add a few paragraphs here and there about their favorite algorithms...with time, and especially with our competitive nature (dueling graphics methods create more content, not confusion) this builds up to a great resource.

i really dont mean any disrespect, but i find that anyone that has questions about a wiki''s effectiveness has never tried one out before.

quote:
Original post by justo
i really dont mean any disrespect, but i find that anyone that has questions about a wiki''s effectiveness has never tried one out before.

Wikis are very powerful, but you cannot say that they do not have their problems, even when used in the domain that they work best in.

Pages can easily become unfocused and rambling. In fact, the entire wiki easily becomes unfocused and rambling, producing a complex web of pages with no hierarchy to support it, and leaving a text search as the only feasible option for finding information (and although this is adequate for many things, it is not ideal for all).
Information can get split up or duplicated over multiple pages, because someone may create a new page, without realising that there is an existing one that covers the topic.

However, all of these problems apply equally to forums, which have other problems of their own. Wikis are far better than forums for mid to long term storage and retrieval of information. Perhaps the more interesting and useful question is: Is there something better than a wiki (that would be appropriate in the same, or at least similar, situations)?

John B

I think the main problem is that beginners register to the site and immediately post a question that gets asked all the time. You need to promote the FAQ much more and be stricter about the questions you can ask here.

For example, I used to frequent comp.lang.c++. If you read a few of the threads, pretty much the first reply to certain threads are that the question is in the FAQ, followed by a link to it, then _nobody_ else replies. You just see thread after thread of one post replies pointing to the FAQ. Before I ever posted anything, I would check the FAQ because it was so apparent you would simply be told to go and look for it was answer there. Their FAQ is actually quite comprehensive and contains many pedantic topics, so the questions that get discussed on the newsgroup tend to be interesting ones that aren''t in it.

I think a wiki is overkill in my opinion. If you just pointed beginners to the FAQ, stopped FAQ posts being answered and the FAQ actually contained the most FAQs, then most of the pointless threads will stop. Once the person matures, they know how to search the web for themselves to find answers to things so there isn''t much need for a FAQ of really advanced topics in my opinon.

quote:
Original post by seanw
I think a wiki is overkill in my opinion. If you just pointed beginners to the FAQ, stopped FAQ posts being answered and the FAQ actually contained the most FAQs, then most of the pointless threads will stop. Once the person matures, they know how to search the web for themselves to find answers to things so there isn''t much need for a FAQ of really advanced topics in my opinon.

Why would a wiki be overkill?
If GDnet became a wiki (excepting the parts that would remain forums, of course) then it would be the FAQ, and it would automatically be updated to answer not only the most frequently asked questions, but any question that comes up. People would read it, because on a wiki, the emphasis (at least as I see it) is on searching/reading first, and then editing later if you''ve got something to add. The only way to create a new page is to link to it from an existing page, and unless you''re being stupid or malicious (both of which are dangers, I admit), then you probably won''t create a link from somewhere totally unrelated. Therefore, by the time you try and create a new page, you''ve already searched and found the related information, and you will have found any existing answers.

John B

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!