tanning machines: safe or not

Started by
21 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 20 years, 2 months ago
I keep hearing mixed things about whether tanning machines are safe or not. Ok I understand that its probably safest to not tan at all, but are tanning machines safer than, as safe as, or less safe than tanning in the Sun itself? Its hard to find a definitive answer. Ive searched google, and every site seems to have their own opinion. Some are extremely in favor of the machines being completely safe. Some are the opposite and guarantee horrible shit will happen to you if you use them; everything from skin cancer to your internal organs start to cook. I dont know much about tanning machines, but I know of 3 different kinds. The lay down beds, the stand up ''beds'', and the kind where they just spray you with some crap that turns your skin dark (somehow). Im not interested in this spray crap. The way I see it: 1) The only thing I ever hear about being bad from the sun is "harmful uv rays". 2) They make sunglasses that block nearly 100% of the sun''s uv rays 3) Therefore they should be able to make the beds out of whatever materieal they need to in order to block out the bad and let though the good. Its probably not this simple though, otherwise there wouldnt be so much controversy over the whole issue. Does anyone have any personal experience with tanning machines? How safe are they? ---- As a side note, assuming theyre safe, how often do you need to go? How much money does it end up costing per month to keep a medium tan going all year round?
Advertisement
the proper question should be: tanning machines: gay or not?

fortunatly we all know the answer to that question.
So have you noticed any health related issues while tanning, Eelco?
quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
3) Therefore they should be able to make the beds out of whatever materieal they need to in order to block out the bad and let though the good.

I thought the "harmful" UV rays were what made you tan.
quote:Original post by Eelco
the proper question should be: tanning machines: gay or not?

heh, I was just about to ask a similar question.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Well, I have only used them once or twice but I know a lot of people that have used them religiously all their lives, the only real bad things I believe about them is that they can give you skin cancer, but we all know that to be true about excessive sun bathing too right? I think the only advice I would give is, Don''t over do it.

If you want to keep up a tan, you should expect to have to go at least once every fortnight, although, everyone is different, and some loose the pigmentation faster than others, so I guess it depends on your skin type.

As for the spray (you can get cream also), if ever you need a tan in 5 mins, its perfect, but I found that it brings out more of an unnatural colour, also its hard to apply properly and bad application can end up with blotchy looking skin.

Hope I helped a little.
First why don''t you research and see what causes your skin to tan or darken. Then you might think twice about it, and opt for another method.
Yes, In the paper a while ago, there was a story about a woman who had literally fried her insides by tanning too much. Is tanning safe? You be the judge.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
quote:Original post by tHiSiSbOb
Yes, In the paper a while ago, there was a story about a woman who had literally fried her insides by tanning too much. Is tanning safe? You be the judge.

That''s a myth. They tried that out on Myth Busters and proved it false.
Skin cancer is common when being bombarded by UV light.

A lot of tanning machines bombard you with UV light.

Figure it out for yourself.

Resist everyone
I am your only friend. Click here for more information. (MOVED)
Penguin Ninja!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement