game engine - fighter

Started by
5 comments, last by Cosmic One 20 years, 2 months ago
Hey all. I''ve been looking at creating a 2d fighting game and wanted to get some resources on the development of an engine for something like this. Think street fighter clone, that kind of game style. I wanted to know, does anybody know of and recommend a good (and free) engine for this genre of game? If it''s your engine, please don''t worry about it being ripped off, I''d only use this as a learning reference, not the basis for an actual game. Thanks, Cosmic P.S. any ppl replying simply to tell me to "google" for it, you''re not being helpful =P, everyone knows google is the first trial to solving your problem
Advertisement
Andre Lamothe''s book, Windows Game Programming For Dummies comes with a 2D game engine called the GPDUMB Engine. It is pretty simple, but it''s totally customizable and easy to use. Also, the book helps to teach DirectX programming concepts as you learn to use the engine.

The engine is included on the books CD-ROM, obviously, as C++ code.

I''m sure Amazon.com or some one carries it.
i have never used such engines, but Dark Basic, or Dark Basic Pro seems to be simple enough for this purpose. But i think any of these engines would do. You need only object management, rendering, a basic collision detection, and animation. An average engine supports these functions.

"Knowledge is no more expensive than ignorance, and at least as satisfying." -Barrin
"Knowledge is no more expensive than ignorance, and at least as satisfying." -Barrin
Thanks to you both, but I''ve already committed myself to a C++/OpenGL development. Any other thoughts?

Cosmic
3D models (Tekken, Virtua Fighter, DOA) or 2D sprites(Street Fighter, KOF, Guilty Gear)? Ogre may be a good choice for an engine for a 3D game. I'm not sure about any OpenGL based 2D sprite engines, although it shouldn't be too hard for you to write your own.

Edit: Hehe, didn't read your post in depth... I see you want to make a 2D game. Yeah, I'd say just write it yourself. For a 2D fighter rendering is the probably the least of your worries.

[edited by - impossible on February 20, 2004 4:47:20 PM]
Someone has an engine already created for fighting games, with tools and all. I don''t remember the link or the perosn, but a few minutes searching will probably find it. Sorry I couldn''t be of more help.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

quote:Original post by BeerNutts
Someone has an engine already created for fighting games, with tools and all. I don''t remember the link or the perosn, but a few minutes searching will probably find it.
Mugen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement