Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rendering gl to Bitmap is slower, should it be?

This topic is 5046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think you misunderstand what I am asking. You can do one of two things when rendering with opengl (only 2 I know of)
1. Draw to the window.
2. Draw to a Bitmap.

The advantage of drawing to a Bitmap is that I can use gdi fucntion and draw to it as well, before I display it on the window.

My question is, is drawing to a Bitmap much slower?

quote:
Original post by aewarnick
I think you misunderstand what I am asking. You can do one of two things when rendering with opengl (only 2 I know of)
1. Draw to the window.
2. Draw to a Bitmap.

The advantage of drawing to a Bitmap is that I can use gdi fucntion and draw to it as well, before I display it on the window.

My question is, is drawing to a Bitmap much slower?

Between drawing to a bitmap, then intervening with GDI drawing directly to the frame buffer, you''re gonna run into a performance hit. Just draw to the window, and use OpenGL''s triangle rasterizer for any 2D drawing operations. Writing directly to the frame buffer = bad if you''re concerned about performance. I''d imagine rendering to an offscreen bitmap and blitting it to the window ontop of that would be worse.