4-wheeled vehicle simulation

Started by
1 comment, last by esaint 20 years, 2 months ago
...Okay, so I''m gonna create a simulation of a 4-wheeled vehicle, like a car. Doesn''t have to be very accurate, but it should at least look like the physics of it resemble a real car. Now, so I''ve made a frame of four bounding spheres- one for each wheel, and they can each move somewhat realistic with your average gravity, friction and collision algorithms against a heightmap or a mesh, and I figured I''d have to use some kind of algorithm to make the movement of one wheel affect the movement of the others. I thought about the movement of a single wheel making it and another wheel on it''s axis rotate around the axis made up by the other two wheels, but I don''t really know how to determine what move should be used, or what two wheels to use. Anyone have any tips on this? general ideas? links to information? I''m glad for all the help I can get. There are two secrets to great programming: 1. Don''''t tell everything you know
There are two secrets to great programming:1. Don''t tell everything you know
Advertisement
I can do ya one better. I would check out the Tokamak SDK (check through google). It is a free and very powerful rigid body physics engine... Inside there samples is also generic physics for a car. Which may be just what you are looking for. It uses the idea of sensors on springs to calculate suspension which for all basic purposes works just fine.

Tokamak is really fairly easy to use if you look up what you need through its forum, otherwise they give very little detail.
>> There are two secrets to great programming:
>> 1. Don''''t tell everything you know

2.) If you want information from other people, don''t use that signature

- Mikko

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement