Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello Gamedev Forums!

This topic is 5047 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Iwould like to say hello.... and i would like some one to give me some pointers if possible about my code
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <string>

int main(void){

int a = "";
int b = "";
int c = "";
cout<<"What is the A value"<<endl;
cin>>a;
cout<<"What is your B value?"<<endl;
cin>>b;
cout<<"What is your C value?"<<endl;
if(a ++ b > c);
{
    cout<<"You have an obtuse triangle"<<endl;
}
if(a ++ b < c);
{
    cout<<"You have an acute triangle"<<endl;
}
if(a ++ b == c);
{
	cout<<"You have a right triangle"<<endl;
}
system("PAUSE");

return 0; 

}
... and are some of my includes not needed? Thanx for even reading EDIT: I forgot to say I am using MS Visual C++ 6.0 and i get these errors: --------------------Configuration: What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling... What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(7) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char [1]' to 'int' This conversion requires a reinterpret_cast, a C-style cast or function-style cast C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(8) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char [1]' to 'int' This conversion requires a reinterpret_cast, a C-style cast or function-style cast C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(9) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char [1]' to 'int' This conversion requires a reinterpret_cast, a C-style cast or function-style cast C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(10) : error C2065: 'cout' : undeclared identifier C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(10) : error C2297: '<<' : illegal, right operand has type 'char [20]' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(10) : error C2065: 'endl' : undeclared identifier C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(11) : error C2065: 'cin' : undeclared identifier C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(11) : warning C4552: '>>' : operator has no effect; expected operator with side-effect C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(12) : error C2297: '<<' : illegal, right operand has type 'char [22]' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(13) : warning C4552: '>>' : operator has no effect; expected operator with side-effect C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(14) : error C2297: '<<' : illegal, right operand has type 'char [22]' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(15) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'b' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(15) : error C2059: syntax error : ')' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(15) : warning C4552: '>' : operator has no effect; expected operator with side-effect C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(17) : error C2297: '<<' : illegal, right operand has type 'char [28]' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(19) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'b' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(19) : error C2059: syntax error : ')' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(19) : warning C4552: '<' : operator has no effect; expected operator with side-effect C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(21) : error C2297: '<<' : illegal, right operand has type 'char [27]' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(23) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'b' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(23) : error C2059: syntax error : ')' C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(23) : warning C4553: '==' : operator has no effect; did you intend '='? C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(25) : error C2297: '<<' : illegal, right operand has type 'char [26]' Error executing cl.exe. What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.obj - 18 error(s), 5 warning(s) [edited by - TheNerdTk421 on February 19, 2004 9:43:04 PM]

Why are you using "++"? How about just "+"? "++" is the incrementing operator, and will only increase by one, not the right operand. Also, I don't believe you need the "string" header.

EDIT: Add "using namespace std," or replace cout, cin, and endl with std::cout, std::cin, etc.

[edited by - cOWsaReNotEVil on February 19, 2004 9:45:01 PM]

What would i use instead of endl; std::endl; ? \and what does this mean? :
C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(23) : warning C4390: ';' : empty controlled statement found; is this the intent?

[edited by - TheNerdTk421 on February 19, 2004 9:53:00 PM]

quote:
Original post by TheNerdTk421
what does this mean?

C:\Documents and Settings\patrick\Desktop\GeoApps\What Kind Of Triangle Do I Have.cpp(24) : warning C4390: ';' : empty controlled statement found; is this the intent?

Actually, when doing if statements, don't end it with a semicolon. Any expression that is tested with if or while statements etc, don't use a semicolon.

[edited by - nervo on February 19, 2004 10:01:28 PM]

#include <iostream>
usinge namespace std; //DONT FORGET THIS!!! also you didnt need those other libraries

int main()
{

int a =0;
int b =0;
int c =0;

cout<<"What is the A value"<<endl;
cin>>a;

cout<<"What is your B value?"<<endl;
cin>>b;

cout<<"What is your C value?"<<endl;
cin>>c; //you forget this??

if(a + b > c)//no semicolon here

cout<<"You have an obtuse triangle"<<endl; //if its just one line of code after the IF, you dont need to put brackets, but you could if it helps for read-ability

if(a + b < c)
cout<<"You have an acute triangle"<<endl;

if(a + b == c)
cout<<"You have a right triangle"<<endl;

//no need for a system PAUSE here at all

return 0;

}

just thought id optimize your code a little, this it what it "should" look like. im a newbie too, but i could at least figure this out . good luck man!!

[edited by - graveyard filla on February 19, 2004 10:01:13 PM]

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

int main(void){

int a;
int b;
int c;
std::cout<<"What is the A value"<<std::endl;
std::cin>>a;
std::cout<<"What is your B value?"<<std::endl;
std::cin>>b;
std::cout<<"What is your C value?"<<std::endl;
std::cin>>c;
if(a + b > c)
std::cout<<"You have an obtuse triangle"<<std::endl;
if(a + b < c)
std::cout<<"You have an acute triangle"<<std::endl;
if(a + b == c)
std::cout<<"You have a right triangle"<<std::endl;
}
system("PAUSE");

return 0;

}

EDIT:hey thanx use to program quite a bit (C, C++ not to dif) but it been years... works!! THANX ALOT!! now to more stuff!! YAY

[edited by - TheNerdTk421 on February 19, 2004 10:04:49 PM]