Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

website dev

This topic is 5048 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I get a website (not free), is it possible to upload a Windows .dll and/or executable program, and run them? If so, how? Executable would be like a MS-DOS program that outputs some data. I wouldn''t know if the server is Unix or whatever.

Yup no problem. Look up cgi programming in C(example printf will output data). Actually I have programmed web apps in C myself. However, why do you want to program an executable? Use php or asp, they are made for website programming and therefore have severe advantages.
Oh make sure your provider allows these types of cgi apps.
And wether or not your server is unix or windows would make a difference in general, but if you use special functions like sendmail in unix that wont run on windows.
-CProgrammer

What kind of programs do you want to run on your webserver?
I think PHP is very cool. It's got a very C/C++ like Syntax, so if you know C/C++ you can easily programm in PHP.
Just have a look at http://www.php.net. There you'll find a complete documentation of the latest version of PHP

QB 4 EVER

[edited by - akOOma on February 20, 2004 8:09:51 AM]

I guess the executable itself is not important. I just need to run some DLLs that are not mine, so I can''t code the entire thing in another language.

So, it''s not possible to interface with a Windows DLL on a Unix server?

Also, the DLL seems to be dependent on some common Windows DLLs like kernel32.dll,
user32.dll, and gdi32.dll. It generates some numbers for me to use.

What the dll does is pretty much irrelevant. A dll is just a dll. As I said, I didn''t create it,
so I can''t recode it, but I need to use it. What is important is being able to interface with it,
so I guess I must find a Windows-based web hosting service. Thanks.

Yeah you do, but that''s not a bad thing. GameDev.net is hosted on Windows 2003 Server. All sites that use ASP scripts are hosted on Windows computers, basically. And as you know, GD is perfectly stable.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Post screenshots of your projects. There''s already 134 screenshot posts.